Any good way to hold the position without gps

Let says I need my drone to maintain its position in a place with no gps. I don’t need it to fly around. Just hold one position while i can change the attitude but only want it at the same position. What would be a good method I can use?

Hello

optical flow is generally a good system for this
look at the wiki

Yes, but the location is outdoor. Lighting is an issue. I read that ir cut can do it. Just wonder any more good ideas.

opticalflow works outdoor over non reflective textured ground and depending on the Lidar up to 100 M

2 Likes

Sounds good thank you for the info will check this out.

I checked with the manufacturer but none seems willing to indicate it works above 50m outdoor. Maybe should just get one to try

I successfully tested a combination of PX4FLOW and Lightware lidar at these altitudes

No manufacturer can confirm as there’s no garantee that the surface you fly over has good features to make the sensor work correctly

Take note that opticalflow is a velocity estimator and it is prone to drift and error

1 Like

Thanks your experience is invaluable. I was considering this and another option which is local area positioning system.

I think set up wise a optical flow is much easier. But in a outdoor environment at high altitude probably solution is less reliable.

Probably will dabble with this when doing indoor projects when environment is better controlled.

1 Like