An Open Source Frsky Telemetry Script for the Horus X10,X12 and Taranis X9D,X9E and QX7 radios

Hi Josh,
rpm is not exposed by passthrough telemetry that’s the reason why you can’t discover it.
I made a PR for helipilot to add support for RPM1 and RPM2 sensors, I guess I could do the same for ardupilot.
Btw are you talking about esc RPM or about RPM1 and RPM2.

…looking forward to seeing you too :slight_smile:

1 Like

RPM1 (and 2, I suppose, however in my case it is not being used.)

Oddly enough, I can’t discover any other sensors either. Is that normal? I see the Radio ones, and then GPS, and that is it.

Hi Alex, is ESC telemetry values(rpm, temperature,…) supported at the moment? I’m using Hurus X12S with Frsky telemetry passthrough. Thank you!

Hi Josh, on Horus and T16 sensor discovery is different from Taranis radios, you need to let discovery run and while it’s running go back to the yaapu widget let it run a couple seconds and finally get back to the sensors page to stop discovery, it’s explained here

Hi, not at the moment.
Could you describe a use case for esc telemetry on the radio?
And also:

• what mavlink rate do you usually use for esc telemetry?
  • how precise should the rpm be, divided by 10 or 50 would be ok, like 13250 sent as 265 ( 265 * 50 = 13250)
    same question for RPM,Voltage, Current and Temperature

The most critical part is how ofter you think the telematry should be refreshed to be usefull or from my perspective what is the lowest possible rate for esc telemetry?

thanks

Alex

Hi Alex,

I added a small video monitor to my Horus so that I can see what my planes sees as well as my location on the map. Now I wish my season matched the nice summer weather on the main screen below! All the white in the video monitor is from it snowing out my back window. It’s 6 degrees F here this morning.

Cheers!

3 Likes

Hi Alex, my use case is I have a new ESC 4in1 and I want to monitor temperatures and rpm so that I know it is working normally and the temperature is not so high.

• I think the lowest rate of 1 or 2Hz is useful enough to monitor the ESC health.
  • I think RPM/50 or /100, Volt * 2, Current * 2, and Temperature are fine for my application.

Let me know if I can help. Thank you!

Oh dangit, I knew that Alex, sorry! I had just forgotten since re-flashing this radio and starting from scratch. Everything showed up :slight_smile:

1 Like

I am stuck in an unexplained “No telemetry” situation.
The quadcopter is running a X-RSR Frky passthrough telemetry back to a Jumper T16 Tx (serial port protocol set to 10 in mission planner).
When first installing today the Yaapu widget (and script) , the widget immediately displayed all of the telemetry data in the yaapu telem pages.
After I unplugged the quadcopter battery and turned it back on again, the yaapu widget does not see telemetry anymore. And I can’t get it to work again.
I reinstalled the widget two times, redid the whole procedure, nothing.

What am i doing wrong ?

Has anyone got this working on a Cube Orange without a converter? I think it should be possible? Maybe we need the same pad bit Tridge did for F-Port?

Hi,
did you get it working?

Hi Peter,
no Cube Orange here so no way to test it. Did you try the padding you suggested?

I haven’t tried but If no one else has it working without I will take a look at setting it up.

2 Likes

I can’t get it to work on CUAVv5Nano but the Matek 765-Wing can work without the converter. Also no cube orange so can’t provide specific feedback there.

I finally got it working.
Here is the crucial information I found that is specific to F7 CPU based autopilots:

-The use of a special data cable as described in the Ardupilot wiki doc site is wrong. No special cable is required for these F7 processors based autopilots. A simple UART Rx pin must be connected to the FrSky Tx pin. No conversion needed.

-The serial protocol has to be set to 10 as described in the documentation but ONLY ONE serial port can be set to 10. There cannot be two or more serial ports configured to protocol “10” (FrSky passthrough). By default, the Ardupilot firmware for these F7 processors have already a predefined serial port set to “10”.
That means that the configuration documentation requesting to set a serial protocol to 10 is wrong. One is already set.

So my mistake was to set a second serial port to 10 while one was already configured. So not following the configuration documentation on the Yaapu github and/or Ardupilot made it work !

Hi, thanks for the feedback, we should ping @hurzburg and have him check the docs.

( A simple UART Rx pin must be connected to the FrSky Tx pin. No conversion needed. )

do you mean TX pin on the the cubes serial to S-port signal pin ?

I do not know if the cube does not need a conversion. I use a Kakute F7 board and for these autopilots, you only need to connect the FrSky Rx to one of the available F7 UARTS’s Rx pin. Then verify your chosen UART is configured with serial protocol 10 via your ground control software (mission planner for ex)

All F7 and H7 boards can invert the uarts by parameter, so don’t need the adapter cable. The F4 requires either a hardware inverter (like on PixRacer), or the cable.

So on orange Cube Serial TX pin to signal pin on the S-port And Serial ground to S-port ground ?