An Open Source Frsky Telemetry Script for the Horus X10,X12 and Taranis X9D,X9E and QX7 radios

Thanks Yves, glad it worked for you!

In my opinion for planes , battery is less important than with copter while Gps speed, Airspeed , baro alt and another Alt , Lidar or Gps Alt are the informations I would like to have .

Gps speed and Airspeed give you an information about how much wind you are flying

Lidar or Gps alt gives you an idea how much your baro is wrong.

Hi Luca,
the protocol designed by C&T does not send raw sensor values but rather the EKF fused ones, so for instance altitude is nor baro neither GPS altitude it’s the EKF altitude calculated by fusing baro, gps, imus, etc

Airspeed and ground speed are different.

If the user configures an airspeed sensor in missionplanner then the speed reported by the telemetry protocol is airspeed otherwise it would be GPS ground speed.

It’s not be possible from the telemetry stream to automatically detect the airspeed sensor presence but I could add a menu item to declare it.
Once enabled the reported gps coordinates could be used to calculate the average ground speed in the last 2 seconds (with a big approximation since gps coords are reported at 0.5Hz) this way I’d be able to display both airspeed and ground speed.
I could also display a trip distance estimate with the same technique.

Anything else would require an extension of the current protocol implementation.

Alex

Thanks for your reply !

You are right baro altitude is not available with passthrough protocol .
Altitude from Home so the Ek2 altitude but also the range finder altitude and GPS altitude are all available.
Altitude from home and Range Finder altitude would be very interesting to have IMO.

Both ground speed and Airspeed seems to be both available .
A menu to declare the airspeed sensor availability would be great.

P.s. C&T as far as I know did not design the passthrough telemetry protocol, they design a Frsky app.

Hi Luca,
this is gettting interesting :slight_smile:

Altitude from Home so the Ek2 altitude but also the range finder altitude and GPS altitude are all available.

The problem with GPS altitude is that is absolute.

I could probably detect a GPS reference altitude at takeoff and use it to show relative GPS altitude from home

EDIT: this would not work see

and you’re right there’s a rangefinder value, already parsed by the script, ROTATION_PITCH_270 should be the projection pointing down. I can sure find a place for it and display it!
If you have a rangefinder fitted I’ll have you as a tester for I don’t have one yet!

Both ground speed and Airspeed seems to be both available .

docs here are misleading, should be specified that is either one or the other…

Reading the tread you linked it seems that Altitude from home is available, only it is wrongly describe in the protocol spreadsheet .
With rangefinder Alt , Home Alt is what is really needed since it is what the TECS consider as the actual altitude of the plane :slight_smile:

Yes , I have a rangefinder mounted on my plane and also other Lidars , if you want to play with Lidar I can lend you a Benewake TF Mini .

If I had to choose about speed I would say Airspeed but if you could set a menu and let user choose which one it would be great.

Reading the tread you linked it seems that Altitude from home is available, only it is wrongly describe in the protocol spreadsheet .

that is yet another problem, docs are outdated I had to look at the source code to corrtectly parse the altitude frame.

Yes , I have a rangefinder mounted on my plane and also other Lidars , if you want to play with Lidar I can lend you a Benewake TF Mini .

thanks for the offer but I could not resist and had to buy a tfmini :slight_smile:

If I had to choose about speed I would say Airspeed but if you could set a menu and let user choose which one it would be great.

Airspeed if availbale takes precedence over ground speed so it would always be shown, I could try to show a ground speed from gps coordinates if the user “notifies” the script that what telemetry sends is airspeed…

Hi,
new version on github for the X9D and QX7 radios, some minor fixes and a couple enhancements:
vertical variometer gauge on left side of hud and cell detection override from menu up to 12s.

x9d

x7

cheers

Alex

thanks to @adam for the picture, this is the Horus version running on an X10S

5 Likes

Wow, beautifully done Alex.

1 Like

Well hell…(goes to find credit card to buy an X10S)…

1 Like

Ok…maybe not. $450 US is a bit more. I’ll stick with the x9 plus

3 Likes

hi Alex
can you send to me download link for x12s horus telemetry script ?
https://discuss.ardupilot.org/uploads/default/original/3X/8/b/8b410e79f8b775b543f3e15db6ba30b083253830.jpg

Just a heads up that someone has released a beta of a Mavlink to Frsky Passthrough convertor that runs on Teensy. This will be great for all us Dragonlink V3 users using full Mavlink as it means we can use your lua script. I will test soon and report back. https://github.com/zs6buj/MavlinkToPassthru/wiki

2 Likes

Thanks Marc,
Eric has contacted me to debug a small issue so I was aware of his project but I agree it’s worth mentioning it here for I believe he did a hell of a job!

1 Like

Folks, I’m using the ancient Teensy-based MavSky protocol, and my X9D is still on OpenTX 2.1.7, for which I have a nice and simple script. Do I need this new Passthru protocol on my Teensy or build a serial inverter to be able to upgrade to 2.2.1 and enjoy your HUD ?

Hi,
as a first required step you would have to upgrade your radio to OpenTX 2.2.x.

Then if you run a recent version of ardupilot you can enable serial protocol 10 and all you would need is a serial inverter like this one Some soldering required (if you have a pixracer you don’t even need the inverter)

But if your flight controller cannot output native frsky passthrough protocol but can send mavlink then with Eric’s Teensy converter you should be able to use my script.

Hope this answers your question, if not ask for more help :slight_smile:

cheers

1 Like

hello Alex “yaapu”, a couple of days ago I received my Horus x10s and I was looking for a couple of LUA Scripts and found this masterpiece that you have created.

Could you send me your script? I can inform you of the failures or ideas of improvements
thank you very much
Max from Germany

Hi Max,
I’ll send you a download link.

All the implemented features have been verified as working, so you should be able to fly with it.

Alex

1 Like

Hi Alex,

This looks fantastic. I really like the Horus colour version - any chance I could get a link to the beta script also? I will be happy to feedback my experience if all goes well with the implementation.

Great job!

Darrel