An Open Source Frsky Telemetry Script for the Horus X10,X12 and Taranis X9D,X9E and QX7 radios

On fport I wouldn’t use an XSR, fport firmware for XSR and X4R is beta and buggy, I did a lot of testing with an x4r which shares the same firmware version with the xsr and had to give up because it would not handle telemetry right, RC control was fine but telemetry had all kind of problems.

Reflash to sport and you’ll see the difference or get an r-xsr which works great

1 Like

All loaded and working great. Thanks Alex

2 Likes

Hi Alex and the helpful gents on here,im building A new 3 inch quad and want to use the Matek F 405 board on it and your excellent script’s,do I need to use one of the yappu leads,many thank’s Marty

Hi Martin, which MatekF405 board will you be using?

1 Like

It is the 405 STD and thanks for your promt reply thank you

Hi Martin,
here’s the official Matek docs, scroll to the bottom for frsky help.

you basically have 2 options:

• You can use the usual converter/inverter cable on any serial port
  • if you have a receiver that somehow exposes an uninverted sport/fport pad you can try with Matek’s settings (the use SERIAL_OPTIONS=7 which doesn’t make sense for F4 do not support builtin inversion so the correct option is SERIAL_OPTION 4)

sport

• TX4 pad
  • SERIAL2_BAUD 57
  • SERIAL2_OPTIONS 4 (enable halfduplex)
  • SERIAL2_PROTOCOL 10

fport (requires latest master)

• TX4 pad
  • SERIAL2_BAUD 115
  • SERIAL2_OPTIONS 4 (enable halfduplex)
  • SERIAL2_PROTOCOL 23

best receiver with the uninverted sport/fport pad out of the box is the r-xsr which is great for mini/micro stuff

cheers,

Alex

Edit: corrected serial_option for sport, should be 10 to use my scripts

1 Like

Thank you Alex,brilliant have A new r-xsr will sart the build in couple of days,have a nice day and stay safe in these strange times

1 Like

Long time reader - First time Frsky Telemetry user.

Flight Controller
CUAV V5 Nano, planning on using the “UART4” port as follows:

• SERIAL4_PROTOCOL,10
  • SERIAL4_OPTIONS,7

I dont get the PullUp/PullDown/NoDMA options listed but I do get the InvertTX/InvertRX/Swap options.
I had to set the options as listed above before telemetry worked, combined with the cable as listed below.
Reboot the FC after changing any of these.

Cable
Minimalist cable, only the Tx wire and ground wire to the S-Port signal and ground of the Frsky X8R.
Connect a pull-down resistor between Tx and Gnd wires, I used 2k, it’s what I had lying around.

Taranis X9D+
OpenTX 2.3.2
There doesn’t appear to be the LUAC option, but I ticked the LUA option and forged ahead regardless…
Loaded the scripts onto the SDcard.
Added the script to a telemetry screen as per the wiki.
Taranis now announces the script is ready, the telemetry screen shows “No Telemetry Data”.
Discovering sensors returned a bunch of new ones.
Telemetry screen now showing everything as hoped for! :white_check_mark:

Now we need to disable some of the other special functions and audio we had set up in the Taranis :+1:

EDIT: just to be clear, I didnt download a new version of OpenTX or anything like that, the radio was already all set up and I just ticked the LUA option and added the yaapu scripts to the SDcard, added the script to the telemetry screen in a particular model without affecting any other models.

2 Likes

Hi, Quick question about Yaapu telemetry. Ive set it all up on a fixed wing, and everything appears to be working correctly except i have no speed reading at all. All the other date shows correctly, but speed shows at 0 the whole flight.

except i have no speed reading at all.

you probably have airspeed enabled by mistake, the wiki explains it here

1 Like

Hi everybody,
for Horus and T16 users I created a custom version of GMapCatcher with built in tiles resizing to 100x100, I also updated the wiki on how it all works.

Alex

3 Likes

thats great new it was taking a day to do 100 sq km Lol

2 Likes

Hi Colin,
yes, imagemagick was kind of slow.
I also added a note about using other map providers like Bing for instance vs Nokia.
Map providers don’t like automated download tools, I really don’t know for how long we’ll have access to offline mapping :frowning:

1 Like

Hi, I recently purchase a Frsky Q7S ACCST transmitter, I got all the sensor showing up, and I see them in the manual, like battery level, temp, rssi. But I couldn’t get the yaapu7 script work. The telemetry screen shows no Telemetry. I see the graphic in the background. Thank you much for your help.

Hi,
which version of ardupilot do you have?
make sure you set SERIAL_PROTOCOL=10, looks like you set SERIAL_PROTOCOL=4

Alex

Thank you for your reply. I use the latest version OpenTX 2.3.7. And I connect the r9mm frsky using the smartport and sbux. Where I set SERIAL_PROTOCOL=10. Is that a command I run in betaflight.
The fc is a mamba f405 mini mk2, betaflight version is 4.1.1. I’m using Q7S with external r9m module.

No betaflight sorry, this widget only works with Ardupilot

Thank you. I appreciate so much for your help.

Hardware
Radio Taranis X9D+, XSR Receiver or R9Slim+, Betaflight F4 PRO V3 or F405Wing. PC with Win 10 PRO

Firmware
TX 2.3.7, RX XSR 2.1.0 or 190201 R9Slim+ , Ardupilot 4.0.5
Companion 2.3.7
I use the telemetry from RC controller trough Inverted PORT of the RX
I use as well the YAAPU script version 1.8.0

The problem:
When I read the models from companion software on the PC and I change same parameters in the models (also without any changes) and I save back I have some changes in the information on the sensors as the attached pictures. The parameter changed is the SENSORS ID, from 0 or 1 to 224 or 225, and Sensors source from INTERNAL (Foto_3.jpg) to “External Module” (foto_11.jpg). Then I do not receive any values from the RC controller sensors but yaapu script works. To fix the issue I read again the sensors from the Telemetry Menu but I could have different sensors sequential number that could have issues in the special function menu of the radio, like Voice alarm. Yaapu script works also without to read again the sensors.

How to reproduce the problem:
On the radio

1. Check the sensors. The sensors ID=0, 1 or GPS=251 from what I received from the RC controller : Foto_2.jpg
  2. Check the sensors details #4 VFAS (battery voltage): Foto_3.jpg

On the PC
3) Read the model from the radio: Foto_5.jpg
4) See the models that I have read from the radio: Foto_6.jpg
5) See the sensors detail in the telemetry Menu: Foto_7.jpg
5) Save Back the models with the following parameters: Foto_8.jpg and Foto_9.jpg

On the radio
6) Check the sensors, #4 VFAS NO VALUE and ID sensors is CHANGET from ID=0 or 2 to ID=224 or 225!!! : Foto_10.jpg
7) Check the sensors details #4 VFAS (battery voltage) and you see the Sensors source is changed from Internal to External MODULE.: Foto_11.jpg.
8) The alert voice alarms could be different after I read again the sensors.

The pictures:
Foto_2

Foto_5
Foto_6
Foto_7
Foto_8
Foto_9
Foto_10
Foto_11

1 Like

Thanks for the very detailed report @fdapport , hopefully it will save some time to anybody hitting the same issue!