An Open Source Frsky Telemetry Script for the Horus X10,X12 and Taranis X9D,X9E and QX7 radios

Excellent work Alex.

A great graphical work, that I’m sure will be useful to the ArduPilot user community.

ps: Now my wife will hate you, because now I want a Horus… :sunglasses::joy:

2 Likes

LOL Luis, same here, I haven’t found a way to justify another radio but I’m sure I’ll come up with something :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Beautiful. Yes, now I want a Horus.

Good afternoon,

I would be interested in beta testing for you. I have a Horus X10S and run a pixhawk. I have used FlightDeck and a few others as well. I used to be a manager for software development group so I believe that my feedback would be valuable.

This is a great looking script.

Have a wonderful day.

Michael

I just wanted to say thank you for the awesome work you did with this script. I did not try it at first, because the ardupilot wiki does not make it really obvious that anything else than a premade cable for 20$ can be used. Today I had the time to do a little bit more research. I found an unused Frsky FUL-1 adapter as mentioned in the ardupilot wiki somewhere. The wiki says you will also need a FrSky SPC cable for a complete DIY solution.
The SPC cable is nothing more than a diode on a PCB, so I thought, why not just solder a diode to the TX/RX pins of the FUL-1 and it works! Now I am going to order some MAX232 converter PCBs and diodes and try the same with them, so I can use your script with all of my vehicles.

there’s a great post by @LuisVale on how to do a DIY telemetry cable

…but I have to agree that the wiki is not very clear and needs to be improved

Hi Michael,
your help is very much appreciated, I will have a new test version shortly.
I will PM you a download link once ready.

Alex

Looking forward to it.

it’s awesome. i have x12s & r9m & r9 . can i join beta test?

Sure @steampunk , I’ll PM you a download link when the new test version is ready.

1 Like

I received a request from Craft&Theory to change the way the altitude and vertical speed hud boxes looked in the Taranis versions of the script, the fix was kind of trivial and I must say I like it better the way it is now.

The look of the Taranis versions is now more in line with the look of the Horus version,

cheers

Alex.

Are you kidding?
Omg!

Yeah, I’ll bite my tongue about the way C&T has gone about their business since they started.

1 Like

damn you @yaapu, now I have to sell everything else get a Horus!!!

1 Like

Join the Club @fnoop:joy:

I guess our only solution is to DMCA everything that @yaapu develops, that will save us some anxiety…

1 Like

exploring new layouts…

both batteries reached level 1 alert

notes and questions…

• [N] I added gps coordinates because when the script is running it’s not possible to switch to another telemetry page
  • [Q]: is the actual time next to the label flighttime misleading? Since you cannot exit from the script I imagined that it would be useful to display it

thanks for the feedback

1 Like

Consider using “TimeFlying” or “TimeInAir.” The global time should be elsewhere - maybe at the top center so that it’s not confused.

This is my opinion, but I would like to see a larger HUD - it’s the “primary” instrument referenced for errors. If C&T thinks you’re infringing on their rights, use a “russian” HUD where the lines move instead of the horizon. I also use the “hash” marks on the top of most HUD’s to get a fairly accurate measurement of bank angle - so if it’s easy to add them, they make it look nice.

I also don’t see a need for the frame type to be displayed - It shouldn’t be changing in flight, right?

Excellent work though! I’m excited to begin trying this out soon!

also don’t think frame type is needed.

i prefer the compass ribbon vs compass rose.

time of day next to flight time is a bit misleading.

overall, it does look good in color.

1 Like

Hi Nathan,
I’ll move the global/current time up on the top bar, I agree it’s a more natural position.
The frametype, like the model name it’s a redundant information, not needed, that I like to have. It sure doesn’t change during flight,but at par with flight mode is nevertheless sent as telemetry info from the flight controller.

Hud size is another story, no C&T copyright issues on the Horus, it’s just a performace problem.
I started testing with very large HUDs it was fine on companion but on a real radio was too slow, so slow that there was risk to skip/miss telemetry packets.
Lua lcd primitives are really limited, I’m working on it but I don’t see much room for improvements…

thanks for the feedback

Hi Coby,
ribbon vs rose is really a personal thing, I was looking for a way to speed things up, the rose is lighter on cpu than the ribbon!

thanks for the feedback