AeroScout TiltTriCopter VTOL Conversion

The HobbyZone AeroScout is a great entry RC plane, available in RTF and BNF versions, and is almost completely assembled . It also is a very nice platform for conversion to ArduPilot and I used it when experimenting with ArduPilot’s recent AutoLanding code improvements for writing the updated Wiki document on this feature (Automatic Landing — Plane documentation).

Its size and nice flight characteristics seemed to beg for a conversion to VTOL. I have done many such conversions in the past, being a QuadPlane lover. This is a step by step procedure. Currently, the build is almost complete and I will be adding to this as it finishes, along with a setup guide and tuning fllight results and information. So this document is a work in progress.
20230905_165907

Overview

The conversion will be to a tilt-tricopter QuadPlane to minimize complexity and weight.

1. First, the existing receiver, ESC, and motor are removed from the fuselage.

2. A 4in1 ESC is used inside the fuselage for the three motors. It will be attached underneath the new 3D printed electronics holder, along with a small 24V fan. I feared the internal placement would not provide sufficient cooling while hovering in Texas summer heat. I have done this on larger setups successfully.

3. The electronics holder is completed with autopilot, ESC assembly including motor leads. The existing plywood deck must be partially cut out to allow its mounting.

4. The wing motor mounts are assembled and attached to each wing on a line extending from the aileron start, the motor leads trimmed and motor connectors attached.

5. The elevators are attached normally, and the rear motor mount is assembled, its mounting location on the boom sanded a bit to flatten it for gluing. It is mounted 2X the distance from the CG as the two from motors hinge points. This will assure the load on the rear motor is the same as the two front motors in hover. Care in getting the mount level with wings and elevator is required. Its witing from the ESC is trimmed and motor connectors attached.

6. The GPS/Compass unit is mounted far back on the tail boom for distance from power interference and to help the CG.

7. The RC receiver is attached where to old motor was mounted.

8. The HD FPV camera unit will be attached using the front wing mounts on top of the wing after tuning flights are completed. I used this configuration on my other AeroScout with good video results (https://youtu.be/qTFfeMbvfck)

9. The landing will not be used to save weight and is not required anyway!

Equipment used:

• Holybro KakuteH7-Wing (prototype unit I used to port the firmware). Any 8 output ArduPilot compatible autopilot with GPS/Compass port and additional UARTS for ESC telem and HD Video OSD. SD card highly recommended.

• BE-880 M10N GPS/Compass

• CRSF Nano RX

• 4S, 4200mah Molicell Liion (40A max)

• 2x ES09MD 9g metal gear servos for the tilts

• 3x 2204/2300KV motors (any 30g miniquad motor should do)
    3x iFlight Xing-E PRO 2207 1800Kv Motor (require 16mm 3d mounts in the file below)

• Gemfan 7x3.5x3 Cinelifter prop

• 4in1 40A ESC with telemetry lead (again any 4in1 40A ESC should do)

• 24v 25 to 30mmx10mm 3D printer fan

• HD FPV setup (optional)…I am using a Walksnail setup

3D printed parts: 3D design AeroScout VTOL | Tinkercad

Hardware for motor mounts:

• 4, 3x8x4mm 693ZZ ball bearings

• 2, 3x30mm bolts for motor hinges

• 2,3x35mm bolts for thru wing mounting

• 2,3x40mm bolts for thru wing mounting

• 2, 3x10mm bolts for rear motor mounts

• 6, 3mm motor mount bolts (depends on motor used)

• 18ga silicon wire for motor leads

• 3mm nylock nuts

Build Photos

CG

After the build the CG is spot on!. Adding the RX and HD setup should not change it much.
Weight turned out to be almost exactly the same as other AeroScout…maybe 10g heavier!
So performance should be great!

Parameter Setup

only the non-obvious tuning ones…you still must assign outputs, assign serial ports, etc. for your autopilot and peripherals…

current (9/4/23):

Param Value
FLIGHT_OPTIONS 64
INS_GYRO_FILTER 80
INS_HNTCH_ENABLE 1
INS_HNTCH_FREQ 54
INS_HNTCH_HMNCS 9
INS_HNTCH_OPTS 16
INS_LOG_BAT_MASK 1
INS_LOG_BAT_OPT 4
LIM_ROLL_CD 5500
PTCH2SRV_RMAX_DN 120
PTCH2SRV_RMAX_UP 120
PTCH2SRV_TCONST 0.3
PTCH_RATE_D 0.006412
PTCH_RATE_FLTD 10
PTCH_RATE_FLTT 5.305164
PTCH_RATE_P 0.105929
Q_ASSIST_SPEED -1
Q_A_RAT_PIT_FLTD 40
Q_A_RAT_PIT_FLTT 40
Q_A_RAT_PIT_I 0.2
Q_A_RAT_PIT_P 0.2
Q_A_RAT_RLL_D 0.00288
Q_A_RAT_RLL_FLTD 40
Q_A_RAT_RLL_FLTT 40
Q_A_RAT_RLL_I 0.4
Q_A_RAT_RLL_P 0.4
Q_A_RAT_YAW_D 0.01
Q_A_RAT_YAW_FLTD 40
Q_A_RAT_YAW_FLTE 10
Q_A_RAT_YAW_I 0.05
Q_A_RAT_YAW_P 0.5
Q_ENABLE 1
Q_FRAME_CLASS 7
Q_M_BAT_VOLT_MAX 16.8
Q_M_BAT_VOLT_MIN 12.4
Q_M_THST_HOVER 0.55
Q_M_YAW_HEADROOM 200
Q_OPTIONS 1573921
Q_TILT_ENABLE 1
Q_TILT_MASK 3
Q_TILT_TYPE 2
Q_TILT_YAW_ANGLE 20
Q_TRANSITION_MS 3000
Q_TRANS_FAIL 3
Q_TRIM_PITCH -6
RLL2SRV_RMAX 75
RLL_RATE_D 0.00155
RLL_RATE_FF 0.125276
RLL_RATE_FLTD 10
RLL_RATE_I 0.087816
RLL_RATE_P 0.087816
SERVO_AUTO_TRIM 1
TRIM_PITCH_CD 100

Flight Tests and Tuning

First hovers underpowered with my junker miniquad motors…changed to motors listed…and 7in props…hovers acceptably, modest climb which is fine for me since I VTOL only to takeoff and land.
Set notch filters, tuned with QuickTune script. Discovered that script sets yaw FLTE too low resulting in 1hz oscillations. Raised it to 10hz and all is stable. Will run Autotune mode after forward flight tests to see if I can get even crisper tune. It’s solid enough for now.

First flights…here is a video showing the forward and back transitions at low altitude. Very flyable although more VTOL power would be appreciated…the fact that it can belly land (I took off the gear and did not install the nose gear) allows you to VTOL takeoff and fly till the battery is low and still land…if you want to end the flight in VTOL, don’t go past 50% on LiIon packs with these motors…or use a LiPo…

8 Likes

Nice writeup! And thanks for your work on the Autolanding improvements, way better than before.

was not my code, I just described how to use it

Very nice indeed!

Question on the rear motor placement. Will that large tailboom interrupt the thrust flow? Seems most VTOL conversions have the motor mounted on a tube.

it definitely will have some efficiency impairment, but wont matter much…VTOL flight I will be doing is only for takeoffs and landings…it can afford to waste a little battery as far as I am concerned

almost all the lift gets generated at the mid to tip and they are clear

1 Like

Improve the soldering and add a cap to the 4in1, 600uf -1000 35V.
Cool project

Is it going to work with Bixler? Thanks

It’s in the same general weight class so it should be able to work with it
The only issue could be that the air foil shape won’t be the same and so the 3D printed piece might have to be modified

2 Likes

Sorry, Henry, your stl file has everything. Because I don’t have 3D printer, I need to order it from the web service. Could you, please, send me file(s) for parts that are located on wings and tail motor only? I guess, there are 7 parts. And what material do you suggest to use? I have choices: PLA, PETG, Tough Resin, ASA. Thank you.

P.S. What props do you use?

as requested…I use PETG for everything I print for RC stuff

I plan to use gemfan 6042 as shown

Thank you so much for you help!

update: waiting on some new motors…the $8 2204s out of my junk box just don’t have enough power…ordered some modern iFlight miniquad motors…

Hello Henry,
Today I got my parts printed, from Slovakia! I found out that mounting holes on left and right motor mounts are too bid. They are 8mm but should be 3mm same as on tilts. By chance, is there some mistake in stl or some parts are missing?
Thank you.

no! as stated above …" 4, 3x8x4mm 693ZZ ball bearings" …go in there

Update: new motors hover okay…tuned and is stable in VTOL. 3d file updated with mounts for new motors. Will do forward flight tests and tuning next week when I return from vacation.

Hello Henry,

Thank you for updated parts. Hopefully they will work for me too. What is your final choice of motors and props?

Cheers.

Updated params and added short flight video:
future tasks (when cooler):
-tune VTOL tighter with AUTOTUNE
-change to ESC telem for notch filter control instead of throttle

Atx_Heli,

Where did you find the 3x30, 3x35 and 3x40mm bolts you are using in your build? I went to ACE Hardware and they don’t have any 3mm bolts longer than 25mm.

I buy almost everything off Amazon

I just ordered them from Amazon. Thanks for the information.

Terry