I would like to add support for LTA (lighter than air) aircraft for Ardupilot and need your assistance. In this thread I would like to gather informations and create a space for discussion about this topic.
@Gary_Mortimer you were involved in one uch project and it would be awesome if you can share some information
@tridge You are very familiar with the plane code, would be cool if you can assist
Things to consider:
- LTA Aircraft have no potential energy and will not accelerate when pointing nose down
- they can fly at any speed
- Lift vector always points upwards, also in turns and when pitching an rolling
- they need power for every maneuver, even to sink
- there are lots of possible configurations and most of them feature thrust vectoring
- there are aerodynamic forces proportional to acceleration called “added masses” which are different in every direction. Example: when accelerating forward the surrounding air is also accelerated backwards.
GOAL: Fully automatic flight of an blimp with ardupilot