About RTK module supporting

Hi;

is this gps module supported ardurover? GPS can’t find the signal even though I made the cable connections

unicore-um980

Use the search function for “unicorecomm”.

Hi;

In the parameters list, there is an option as in the picture. I activate it but still no signal.

If you used search you would find a post about using the Dev build firmware. Maybe that will work.

Hi again;

Unfortunately, I couldn’t get a gps signal in the developer version either. I think unicore gps are supported. because it is available in the gps_type list. but i don’t understand why i can’t get signal. Has anyone experienced unicore gps with ardu rover?

It is extremely common to mix up the RX and TX wires. Check the wiring before anything else.

GPS TX must connect to autopilot RX, and vice versa.

@ramada,

Support for this GPS is very new so if GPS_TYPE is set to 24 then the autopilot will need to be running 4.4 (aka “latest”). If you’re using MP you can load “latest” by going to the Firmware Install screen and pressing Ctrl-Q. Remember though that this “latest” is today’s latest build so it has not gone through beta testing.

1 Like

Hi;

I downloaded and installed the latest version of Rover as you specified. I made the necessary settings. but still no signal. Screenshots of the version are attached. My settings are as below.

GPS_TYPE == 24
GPS_AUTO_CONFIG == 1
SERIAL3_PROTOCOL == 5
SERIAL3_BAUD == 5
SERIAL3_OPTIONS == 0

I’m using Pixhawk Cube Black. It connects to the GPS1 port on the pixhawk. wiring diagram as below

GPS Pixhawk Cube GPS 1 port
Vcc Vcc
Gnd Gnd
Tx1 Rx1
Rx1 Tx1

note: I’m powering the Pixhawk with the usb cable. There is no power input. would this be a problem?

Try:
Vcc Vcc
Gnd Gnd
Tx1 Tx1
Rx1 Rx1

Hi @ramada,

The SERIAL3_BAUD == 5 looks incorrect. This should probably be “57” but it depends upon the GPS being used. Can you provide a link to the exact GPS being used?

This is also a good suggestion, as sometimes UART peripherals have inconsistent labeling.

1 Like

Hi; @rmackay9

I typed wrong. It will be 57.

@amilcarlucas I tried but nothing changed

I guess I will wait for this issue to be resolved with the next update.

Hi Ramada,
I have only tested the UM982, not the UM980, although I expect them to be very similar.
I assume you are using a single antenna? In that case GPS_TYPE=24 is correct. The SERIALn_BAUD doesn’t matter as it will auto-baud.

From the picture you gave you are using git version 12c24df4 which does have UM98x support, so it should work now.
Have you tried connecting with the Unicore “UPrecise” windows application? That is the Unicomm equivalent of the u-blox “UCenter” tool. It is useful for testing you have the GPS module working. I used UPrecise-V1.0.639_EN.exe
Cheers, Tridge

1 Like

UPrecise is available for download here: Download Center_Service support_High Precision GNSS Board|GNSS Modules|GNSS Receiver

Hi @tridge

Unfortunately I still can’t run it. When I connect gps with Uprecise, I see satellite numbers and connection type.

@ramada I’ve built a firmware that has extra GPS logging for CubeBlack here:
http://uav.tridgell.net/tmp/rover-CubeBlack-gps-logging.apj
you’ll find that some gpsNN_xxx.log files will appear on the microSD card when you test. Please use LOG_DISARMED=1 and send me both the bin log and the gpsNN_xx.log files
Thanks!

@tridge

I uploaded the custom firmware you prepared to Pixhawk and ran it. The logs written into the sdcard and the logs added to the mission planner folder on the C disk and the param file are attached. As you stated in your message, log files in the form of gpsNN_xxx.log did not occur.

LOG.rar - 18.9 MB

what this means is one of two things:

• the wiring of the UM980 to the CubeBlack is not correct
  • your UM980 is not configured to send any NMEA messages at all at any of the baudrates that ArduPilot supports

The ArduPilot driver relies on detecting the UM980 GPS by seeing at least one NMEA packet come out of the GPS. The ArduPilot driver sends the following string at each of the supported baudrates in turn to try to get the GPS to start sending:

CONFIG COM1 230400 8 n 1\r\nCONFIG COM2 230400 8 n 1\r\nCONFIG COM3 230400 8 n 1\r\nGPGGA 0.2\r\n

that should setup the GPS at 230400 baudrate and start sending the GGA message at 5Hz.
I think the most likely issue is the wiring. Please post photos showing the wiring between the CubeBlack and the UM980. Make sure we can see which pin is attached to which wire.

Hi @tridge

Attached is the picture showing the cable connections.

I found and applied the settings related to setting gga messages to 5hz in the gps’s manual but I couldn’t see any feedback that it is 5hz. I’m not sure whether it is.

The config information of the gps is as follows

$CONFIG,ANTENNA,CONFIG ANTENNA POWERON7A
$CONFIG,NMEAVERSION,CONFIG NMEAVERSION V410
$CONFIG,RTK,CONFIG RTK TIMEOUT 1206C
$CONFIG,RTK,CONFIG RTK RELIABILITY 3
$CONFIG,HEADING2,CONFIG HEADING2 FIXLENGTH6F
$CONFIG,DGPS,CONFIG DGPS TIMEOUT 100
6E
$CONFIG,RTCMB1CB2A,CONFIG RTCMB1CB2A ENABLE25
$CONFIG,ANTENNADELTAHEN,CONFIG ANTENNADELTAHEN 0.0000 0.0000 0.0000
3A
$CONFIG,SBAS,CONFIG SBAS ENABLE AUTO0A
$CONFIG,PPS,CONFIG PPS ENABLE GPS POSITIVE 500000 1000 0 0
6E
$CONFIG,COM1,CONFIG COM1 23040021
$CONFIG,COM2,CONFIG COM2 230400
$CONFIG,COM3,CONFIG COM3 230400*21

#VERSIONA,94,GPS,FINE,2247,382313000,0,0,18,1;“UM980”,“R4.10Build7160”,“HRPT00-S10C-P”,“2310415000001-MD22B2223711003”,“ff2747a2fbd5cbfe”,“2022/07/27”*dcc31fab