A nice relaxing AC 3.5.0 Pos Hold autotune on a big hexacopter

It could be like watching paint dry but I find it strangely relaxing,and I can do with a bit of that.It only took 5 minutes for all three axes.Sounds nice too with 5 BHP worth of motors up there.

Second autotune for this FC (Pixhack V3) in this frame.Nice flier on stock loadout but bang on after a couple of autotunes despite some strange looking numbers in the PIDs I have no idea what they mean but it flies right now and I can’t ask for any more.

4 Likes

I had the same experience with my Quad-copter,- total of 6 minutes, few day,s ago.
Drone - Sound? = I prefer the sound of my Helis, lol.
But drones are much, much easier to tune!
Nice job with the latest FW. Thanks a lot, Dev. team.

1 Like

Wow!!! Excellent job!!!
I still have to auto-tune mine and I wish it could go as smooth as yours.
So you set AUTOTUNE_AXES = 7 to tune all 3 axes in one session; what “aggressiveness” did you set, the default 0.1 or lower?
Congrats again and thanks.
Cheers
gio

I used 0.095 for my latest. I had once earlier this year in FW 3.4.1. a bit of oscillation. That went away with a repeat A-tune and param. AUTOTUNE_AGGR = 0.095. Yes, AXES = 7. It stays now with PosHold in a small area. All is good with Auto-Tune now.

I actually did both autotunes in single sessions.The first one took longer,around 14 minutes,and this one about 5.I set the aggressiveness to 0.05 in accordance with the recommendations for large copters and it performed perfectly.

I forgot to mention that I had absolutely no wind. The time could be different in windy condition.

Same here Fred.Totally still.

I’d love to make this sound like a Chinook but I think I’d need a full sized Chinook for that. :slightly_smiling_face:

Did you set Rate Roll & Pitch filter 10 10 Hz?

That’s a good question and I was trying to remember what I set it for.I followed the recommended numbers on here and I think it was dropped to 10Hz by one of the firmware releases and it caused problems.I’m sure it needed to be at 20Hz but I try not to rely on my memory nowadays.I’ll hook it up and check later this afternoon.

Right.That’s why I don’t rely on memory.

Yes,I set the filters to 10Hz and left them there.

Thanks much, Sir. The arducopter guide recommends (suggests?) to set it at
10Hz (std is 20 Hz) for larger builds…:confused:

I would say P value is still to high, you have a same wierd jitter sound like i had on my tarot x6.
Autotune is good to get decent values to start with for manual tuning

I have no idea of what a good value would look like but these did look pretty high compared to stock loadout.So many parameters have changed recently that I’ve lost track.It does fly nicely though certainly better than it did before the FC transplant.I’ve also never got around to manually tuning.I guess this is the one.

I did read once that when autotuning a big copter to drop the results by 10-15% to quiet it down a bit.Maybe I should start there.

ATC_ACCEL_Y_MAX, 8314.004
ATC_RATE_FF_ENAB, 1
ATC_ACCEL_R_MAX, 69382.3
ATC_ACCEL_P_MAX, 76978.38
ATC_ANGLE_BOOST, 1
ATC_ANG_RLL_P, 15.87652
ATC_ANG_PIT_P, 15.87652
ATC_ANG_YAW_P, 3.102592
ATC_ANG_LIM_TC, 1
ATC_RAT_RLL_P, 0.633678
ATC_RAT_RLL_I, 0.633678
ATC_RAT_RLL_D, 0.02974524
ATC_RAT_RLL_IMAX, 0.5
ATC_RAT_RLL_FILT, 20
ATC_RAT_RLL_FF, 0
ATC_RAT_PIT_P, 0.4952623
ATC_RAT_PIT_I, 0.4952623
ATC_RAT_PIT_D, 0.02369605
ATC_RAT_PIT_IMAX, 0.5
ATC_RAT_PIT_FILT, 20
ATC_RAT_PIT_FF, 0
ATC_RAT_YAW_P, 1.776355
ATC_RAT_YAW_I, 0.1776355
ATC_RAT_YAW_D, 0
ATC_RAT_YAW_IMAX, 0.5
ATC_RAT_YAW_FILT, 1.702808
ATC_RAT_YAW_FF, 0
ATC_THR_MIX_MIN, 0.1
ATC_THR_MIX_MAX, 0.5
ATC_THR_MIX_MAN, 0.5

Here is my values for my hexacopter with 370kv motors on 13 inch props
Now you have something to compare with :slight_smile: Goodluck!

ATC_ACCEL_P_MAX,110000
ATC_ACCEL_R_MAX,110000
ATC_ACCEL_Y_MAX,18000
ATC_ANG_LIM_TC,1
ATC_ANG_PIT_P,8.24
ATC_ANG_RLL_P,8.25
ATC_ANG_YAW_P,6.141
ATC_ANGLE_BOOST,1
ATC_RAT_PIT_D,0.011
ATC_RAT_PIT_FF,0
ATC_RAT_PIT_FILT,20
ATC_RAT_PIT_I,0.29
ATC_RAT_PIT_IMAX,0.35
ATC_RAT_PIT_P,0.23
ATC_RAT_RLL_D,0.011
ATC_RAT_RLL_FF,0
ATC_RAT_RLL_FILT,20
ATC_RAT_RLL_I,0.29
ATC_RAT_RLL_IMAX,0.35
ATC_RAT_RLL_P,0.23
ATC_RAT_YAW_D,0
ATC_RAT_YAW_FF,0
ATC_RAT_YAW_FILT,3.001173
ATC_RAT_YAW_I,0.1010391
ATC_RAT_YAW_IMAX,0.2222222
ATC_RAT_YAW_P,0.97688
ATC_RATE_FF_ENAB,1
ATC_SLEW_YAW,6000
ATC_THR_MIX_MAN,0.5
ATC_THR_MIX_MAX,0.5
ATC_THR_MIX_MIN,0.1

Thanks.It may help me learn something.

Either the wiki is still to be updated or my values are more than twice as high as the maximum allowed.I suspect the values have changed in the code again.I look at the paramaters on the wiki and each one says Note: This parameter is for advanced users with no mention of how to learn how to become that advanced user. :slightly_smiling_face:

Hopefully one day I’ll know what those values actually mean.Until then I’ll keep scratching around.

2 Likes

Your video convinced me to give AutoTune a try, and I’m glad I did.

I thought I had it dialed in by using In Flight Tuning, but after running AutoTune my 680 Pro flies MUCH better.

Kudos to the Devs…

Indeed.Autotune has come a long way.I’ve been using it for years but this is by far the best it’s ever been.

Glad you had a good result too.

1 Like

Jagger,
you will never get the same values than others, or the hardware you are both using is identical.

Either the wiki is still to be updated or my values are more than twice as high as the maximum allowed.I suspect the values have changed in the code again.I look at the paramaters on the wiki and each one says Note: This parameter is for advanced users with no mention of how to learn how to become that advanced user. :slightly_smiling_face:

For autotune, PIDs in general I feel the same, the wiki pages about it are not update for AC 3.5. Autotune give me out of range parameter like stab Roll and stab Pitch at 16 and 18 as you, and in Alt Hold is not working well, and now I don’t know if the normal PID so high needs out of range Alt Hold PID or not. Is yours Alt Hold working good and what’s parameters are you using?

Roger that. I used AutoTune on an APM a long time ago and I didn’t like the results. I used In Flight Tuning and got much better results.

One of the reasons I used AT with AC3.5 was to see how the Yaw tuning turned out… And quite frankly I’m impressed…

Fred.

Yes I get that but it’s the different appearance of the values in 3.5,possibly 3.4 and above.As a base loadout I think you still get 0.135 Pitch and Roll Rate P value and 0.09 I value and this flew fine with those values.After autotune the values set are way higher - Roll P 0.63 something and Pitch P 0.49.

So it flies nicely but has that strange chatter on take off.I may try reducing the values by 10 - 15 % as recommended in another post but that still leaves the numbers higher than any other copter I’ve ever tuned.I was wondering if these values are because of a parameter rehash for 3.5.0 (or 3.4+).I think I’ll ask a seperate question about that.It would be valuable information for tuning a multirotor.