A nice relaxing AC 3.5.0 Pos Hold autotune on a big hexacopter

I’ve found the autotunes on Pixhawk and above to be pretty good but htis particular autotune was one of the most rewarding and relaxing to stand and watch.It gave me a nice flying copter (to my feel ) but If it can be improved…

Hi Jagger

What size props are you using and battery voltage? You copter flies very nicely Great job!

6S and currently 18 inch.I have some folding 17 inch props on the way for testing.The solid props are a nightmare when transporting it and folding props would make that a lot easier.

I have tested the folding props and slow motors it is not a good idea … on punch outs or when you need the power they fold slightly you would be better off fitting quick releases to the motors and keep the 18"

Good observation but I’ll see what these are like.Carbon fibre paddles and they look pretty well made.Or the 21 inchers they sent in error do anyway.I’ve got loads of Tarot QD prop mounts but they look a bit flimsy on the 18 inch CF props.Never seen a QD that looked man enough.

Jagger, looks great. What kind of flight times are you getting with this Hexa (for the battery capacity), and your all up weight. I’m working on a large hexa too, planning to do the autotune when ready. Thanks

That’s a good question.

About 25 minutes with two 20A packs and no loadout (just over 8 kg).I’ve been concentrating on trying to mount a gimbal lately which is being a pain so i’ll have to dig for some other numbers.Another unladen flight with 2 10A Graphenes gave 12 minutes with 9100mAh consumed.So close to 20 minutes like that.Maybe 15 with a gimbal and camera.If I can stop the gimbal shaking I’ll do a test.I think it’s scared of heights.

If you tried everything but wires look at this Youtube video. It worked for me with my Helicopters and gimbals.

I build it myself!!

If someone has a link to the suggested settings before performing AT on a larger hexa, please post.

I have a 800 with 4114-400 kv motors. I’d like to do AT, but the YAW seems a bit unstable to my liking; wants to wonder around. I haven’t messed with PID’s manually for probably 3 years, that being my 750 Y6 which was barely flyable until getting some numbers from a few devs here.

Thanks.

Yesterday i had a great experience with pos hold autotune. My F450 pixhawk1 finished in 6 min. My hexa pixhawk 2.1 finished in 7 min both are flying perfect after that. Congrat to dev teams and please keep bringing up such good improvements.