3d printed VTOL plane

Hello!
So I designed and printed vtol plane (wingspan 2.5m). But smth is not working properly and it doesnt want to fly.
So stack is:

1. FC matek f405 vtol
  2. motors: SunnySky XS High Power X3515S 4x
  3. ESC Readytosky 40A ESC OPTO 2-6S 4x
  4. battery CNHL 6S Lipo 6000mAh (for tests)

But when i give 50% of throttle one of the engines start failing, sort of rapidly changing its RPM. I am not sure its a motor problem, seems more like it is ESC. But dont know for sure… Mb you have faced with similar problem or should i just buy 60a esc? Thank you!

1 Like

Can you swap the possibly problematic ESC with a different one to isolate the problem? (To see if it really is the ESC.)

Have you weighed your aircraft yet?

FWIW, it sure looks cool.

1 Like

Yeap, for now weight is 5.7kg, engines can handle up to 7kg. I will try swap places of ESCs, as for now problem somewhere on the left side

1 Like

That is not a lot of head room, IIRC recommended TWR for multirotors is 2:1.

2 Likes

Yeah, the motors are way too weak for the weight, plus aerodynamics that aren’t a factor in regular copters.

1 Like

Actually, for VTOL 1.4-1.7 should suffice. It’s only for takeoff and landing for a cumulative 2-3 minutes use.

1 Like

I’m kinda’ old school so I prefer to calibrate the ESCs individually directly to the Rx. This assures me the endpoints register correctly, then do the calibration in MP for good measure. Food for thought.

Good luck.

1 Like

I think the simple thing would be swap the bad motor with one that works.

1 Like

I ordered 60a ESC, this week will install them. Also another problem might be that my FC is fixed with bolts, and plastic can be very good in transferring vibrations, so probably another idea is to use some anti vibration rubber dampers.

I think 1 / 2 ratio is not good example for VTOLs as indeed it is needed only for couple mins to take off and land.

1 Like

His current configuration is 1.2. Which apparently is the lower limit according to this. Even if it’s just for take off / landing, I wouldn’t trust the motors to deliver exactly what the manufacturer claims and get a setup that leaves some safety buffer.

1 Like

Nice work. see if you can design some weight reduction.

2 Likes

I was going to ask about calibration but I didn’t see any calibration instructions for this ESC?
I know a lot of ESCs use similar calibration strategies but are we safe to assume all these sorts of ESCs can be calibrated?

It looks like he’s ordering different ESCs so this is likely a moot point.

1 Like

I agree a VTOL doesn’t have the same requirements as a normal quadcopter but I still think it’s a good idea to keep the weight within the quadcopter’s limits.

I want to make sure you saw this info on the Sunnysky website.

I’ll say again, I think your aircraft looks great. I sure hope you keep us updated on your progress.

1 Like

Oh, thats true, I was looking at another engine specs… 5.6kg is definetely not enough… But still worth to try with different ESC and no payload just to make sure that it was ESC problem, as even if its not enough thrust it should not make this weird sound.

Will switch escs soon, for now will update the design a bit as indeed tail of the plain is way to heavy and basically useless. This design is better

Looks very nice. I been designing a few VTOLs in plastic and understand just how controlling weight is important. Currently I have a 5 .5 lbs bird with a 1.2 wing. I also have a 4.2 lbs design 1,2 m.

What was the thickness of wing/fuselage skin(*?) ? I am using 1mm, was trying .8mm and it works fine, but very easy to break if press locally

I have a odd infill design i came up with a few years ago. I model a air gap between the outside and inside walls, That gap is adjustable so I use 1.7 mm to 3 mm. No warping in the sun unless your outside for days and overall somewhat strong.

Changed ESC to 60a, worked fine. Total weight was 6.7kg, thrust around 70%, but smth went wrong, no idea what happened Watch video_2024-07-06_16-36-41 | Streamable