30KM 1080p 60fps 150ms - SIYI HM30 Full HD Digital Video Link Telemetry Radio System

Hi, just got my HM30 up and running. All is working well but ground unit is not getting any Mavlink data. I have the TX and RX and G/V connected to my Matek F405 WSE flight controller correctly. It is on Serial2 and serial2 is configured for Mavlink2 baud 57600. Still no mavlink data. Any advice?

Hi Mohammad,

Thank you for purchasing HM30 system.

What way do you use to connect datalink and are all settings on ground unit done well? Please share a little more detail, thanks!

Thank you for the quick response Frank. I have solved the problem. It turns out, that on F405 WSE flight controller, UART2 is unused. Switching to UART3 fixed it! Now I have mavlink working!!! See this page for anyone using F405 WSE flight controller: Mateksys F405-SE/WSE — Copter documentation

This is my setup. Hopefully it helps someone!

I checked out the siyi fpv app. It’s good but definitely could use improvement. I’m an Android developer of over 10 years. If the team at siyi would like some help I’m happy to help. Or if the app is open source also happy to contribute to the codebase :slight_smile:

I’d like to at least figure out how the app is getting mavlink data for the OSD - this way a custom rtsp app could be made with OSD overlay. Just a thought

I have set my Groundstation as following but not yet tested with flying due to cold wether.
But on the bench it works.
The receiver is sitting on the back of HM30 Groundstation. On this way I do not need any cable.

2 Likes

Is there a way to get qgroundcontrol to get the rtsp stream? I tried but still says waiting for video

I was able to get qgc with video streaming working on Android.

But for some reason on Mac it will not work

Is your Mac happen to be x86 version as well? On arm Mac we have tested ok as it use the same QGC version for iPad. On iPad it is also ok.

There is no success on x86 Mac so far.

Looks good. How did you solve the issue?
On my Teclast Tablet M30 it works not stable. Every 2 seconds it reports: Connection broken… Connection regained…connection broken… an so on.

Do you have any other device to test? Android, Windows, iOS, etc. On iOS devices please use QGroundControl.

@SIYI Just wanted to make tests with other Tablets in order to answer your question.
But forgot to reassemble the antenna stick on the airunit. Cable on the side of the JST Connectors.
An now no more connection (no blue LED now red on the Ground Unit). May be may fault, I know its wrong.
But the video downlink works and is to see on the App.

Now waiting on the ordered second airunit, seems to last longer.
Could you push it?
Aliexpress, Official Store SiYI Order Nr. 3015019537872849

Or even better to change the ordered Airunit and Antenna to a complete Set?
(Groundunit, Airunit)
And to info how to pay the difference.

Yep mine is an Intel Mac. Very slow to play rtsp as well even though it’s a very high end MacBook. I noticed Android phone was able to play the stream better.

On a different note, I have a few questions about the camera Frank.

1. I noticed the advertisement for the camera says it can take an SD card for recording. But I don’t see an SD card slot on the camera itself.

2. is there a way to separate the camera from the PCB to make it smaller so that I can put the camera in a tighter space?

3. will lowering the resolution of the camera from the default 1280x720 resolution help with better video at super long range? (35+ km)

4. I was not able to get laptop or phone working with USB c. It does not recognize USB c as a network interface. Cannot ping GU or camera. It would be nice if that worked but for now I’m using Ethernet. I connected the Ethernet cable to a separate WiFi router on the same 192.168.144.X subnet and all hosts can get video this way :ok_hand:

5. Is 192.168.144.20 the only host that can get UDP mavlink? No other hosts? It would be nice to send a UDP broadcast or multicast in the future if not already possible

Couple other questions for antenna placement on the air unit.

Here is my antenna setup. Is it better to have them straight or bent? Also, they are 110mm apart - hopefully that is good enough. I saw the SIYI documentation said at least 5cm. Please advise Frank thank you!

I have an update regarding my loss of connection issue. It’s almost entirely good news!

When the connection failed, my vehicle’s system was supplying 11-14V to the Air Unit, likely hovering often near the lower limit of 11.1V. I continued to use the vehicle’s own 12V automotive-style system during multiple re-binding attempts that failed. When I supplied 16.1V from a 4S LiPo, the binding process completed, and everything began working again.

I have been unable to replicate the loss of connection/loss of binding problem through fairly rigorous testing with a benchtop power supply across the entire range of Air Unit input voltage (11.1-16.8V), and I have now successfully accomplished the binding procedure with the Air Unit supplied with voltages as low as 11.0V.

While trying various methods to re-connect the system, I did make the mistake of attempting to supply the Air Unit with a 2S LiPo at 8.1V, well below its intended input voltage. It’s a testament to SIYI’s design that it appears I did no harm by attempting that!

Air Unit telemetry reports that it is receiving about 0.4-0.6V less than its actual input supply (measured via the benchtop supply’s display and verified with a Fluke 88 meter), displaying occasional low voltage warnings with input voltages up to 11.5V, which should be well within the operating range. I recommend supplying at least 12V to the Air Unit to avoid receiving warnings or risking loss of connection.

I have installed a small boost converter to supply a stable 14V to the Air Unit on my mower regardless of battery charge state or charging system output, which I hope is a permanent solution.

TLDR;
Everything is working again after likely supplying too little voltage to the Air Unit. Ensure you have an adequate, stable power supply to the Air Unit - my recommendation is at least 12V.

Thanks to Frank for his help and quick replies!

2 Likes
  1. If the LED blinks abnormally, please send a short video, thanks!
  2. The air unit alone includes a pair of standard omni antennas. So what you have ordered are HM30 air unit and a pair of spare omni antennas. Now do you want two whole pieces of HM30 air unit? Please confirm.
  1. The development of the recording camera was delayed. Thus it did not catch up with the release of HM30 system. Now the camera is ready for sale and is called R1 Recording Camera.
  2. I understand that your requirement is like the RC FPV cameras, I’ve talked to the team and will update asap.
  3. Configuring the camera settings can adjust the data amount and it is possible theoratically. However, we did no such tests and according to our range tests with the standard camera settings we think the image is fine even at very long range. And at very long range you do need antennas with higher gains. You can find more detail in the manual.
    4 & 5 will be replied after checking with the team.

Thanks for your post!

1. I will make a video and send it later.
  2. In the official Store it was not specified that the antenne is inclouded. Yes, good idea to change now to two complete HM 30 Airunits. Tell me, how to pay the additional costs with Paypal.

Here the video link: (unfortunately not short) :anguished:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1--kS2JE0yXGeln-n8JvfbbEcc9cHnOI1/view?usp=sharing

The connection is broken at about 4 min.
All systems on (TX cmd seems to work, Video App visible, no Telemetry to MissionPlanner via Bluetooth)

After 4min the ground unit voltage starts to change and be lower than requirement, please double check about this and the power supply to the ground unit.

Your build looks very nice! Congrats!

1. Please make sure that the printed antenna holder does not shake during flight and be strictly parallel with the wings.
  2. Please keep the antennas straight up and do not bend.