250g endurance quadcopter

damn!!! nice job. What resin did you print the frame in? @geofrancis you must have nice neighbors mine freakout anytime they see anything that flies or even drives on their sidewalk!!!

you should try a pair of 21700 cells.

@406FPV they are used to seeing robots driving around lol. I rarely do flight tests in the garden, it’s only flying for a couple of minutes to see if the video worked, so I didn’t have to take the ground station to the park. The weather has just been so unpredictable that it’s been difficult to find time to get a flight. The main reason I don’t normally test in the garden is all the telephone cables that run over it, there used to be space between them, but now everyone also has a fibre cable I’m limited to some low flights over 2 gardens.

Unfortunately I never thought of the larger cell size until I saw your post. The Frame, battery QR mechanism and part of the boom locking are all based around the cell size.

I have some much larger 2302 motors with 9" props that may be a good match though. Those motors were too powerful for a 250g aircraft when I had them on something similar sixed

make it taller, so stack the cells rather than have them side by side.

1 Like

Thankies, just standard esun resin resin, nothing special.

The cage weighs next to nothing and happily takes a 1.5kg of static load which is pretty impressive

4 Likes

It can now loiter indoors with flow hold

2 Likes

The digital video system has received a big update, it now supports MSP OSD and has a GUI for configuration, built in recording, Latency range is 10-30ms!!

2 Likes

Got the new ESP32 FPV MSP canvas mode OSD working with ardupilot, It’s got some font issues, a lot of the elements are incorrect like the horizon and symbols but all the numbers are correct when set to betaflight font mode.

Great project Have you checked out the OpenIPC project and RubyFPV?

1 Like

yes but they are too heavy for this project. the esp32s3 mini is only 4g. there will be an offical release in a few weeks with premade image files that can just be flashed to a pizero2 and esp32 and its up and running, the font issue will also be fixed.

1 Like

how about openIPC FPV project? wiki/en/fpv.md at master · OpenIPC/wiki · GitHub
there are few guys tested it with racing quads. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CDIukf8AJw&ab_channel=CurryKitten

Do they have any cameras light enough?

It needs to be under 10g to be viable on something like this.

I have seen cameras under 30g. Not sure about under 10g.

The whole machine weighs 63g without a battery

4 Likes

I remember 10+ years ago a guy built a quad and the arms were basically batteries.

Great work on this build and thanks for sharing!!

1 Like

ESP32-CAM FPV has been released with premade images for both camera and ground station.

1 Like