250g endurance quadcopter

That’s true, may I know if the weight is of only the carbon frame or the other mount included… And what are the dimensions of the frame?

From the picture I guess, it could be 180 mm by 180mm for that 5 inch props.

1 Like

the v1 with its woven carbon is 220mm at 17g, that’s the 2 centre plates,4 motor plates, 2 carbon tubes and the epoxy. The only other parts of the frame are the m2 nylon stand-offs that probably weigh another gram or so.

The v2 with its ultra light carbon is 250mm at 9.8g, its getting 6 inch propellers and motors from a dji mini 3 so I had to make it a little bigger.

2 Likes

Digital video is working on the bench with its new camera lens, I will get it on a vehicle for testing soon, the latency is really impressive.

3 Likes

It looks great. its a photo of the screen, I tried to record using a HDMI>USB but its
compression makes it look like minecraft.

You can see the video compression with the things like the grass and walls but all the edges are quite sharp. You can easily see the telephone cables.

3 Likes

I’m having issues with the UFL connector on these little esp32 boards basically the vibration is causing a bad connection, in the second video when I jam some plastic between the boards to hold the connector down it’s much more stable so im going to glue or solder it down for the next test.

its not got an IR filter at the moment so the sun is extremely bright and there is a lot of purple, the cheap hdmi capture is also adding a lot of pixelation.

3 Likes

I have built a new v2 frame, basically having the propellers inverted was going to cause too many issues and one of the motor plates weren’t totally level, so I scrapped that frame and made a new one. I might do the inverted build for a v3 but i don’t think it will improve efficiency more than 3 or 4% especially with such thin arms.

I also fed the motors through the top plate into the arms, this should be much stronger and looks much neater. The wire coming off it is for flashing the built-in receiver

first test flight didnt go so well, basically there was a lot of vibration and on closer inspection I could see the blade tips weren’t level on 2 motors when they were spinning, so either the motor or propellers were faulty. Moving the propellers around didnt really do much and neither did a second set, so 2 out of the 4 mini 3 po motors were defective. To fix this I have ordered another 4 from an equally questionable seller along with a set of genuine dji propellers from DJI to give them the best chance of working.

4 Likes

The ESP32-FPV is pretty much working now, basically all of my problems were caused by a combination of the terrible sensitivity of the ar9271 wifi adapter I was testing with and me breaking the ufl connector by changing the antenna too many times.

I have finally got it working with a modern realtek 8812au wifi card and the signal is night and day. I’m getting a better signal through a wall with this card than I was getting sitting next to the other one.

To install it on a pi, follow these instructions

sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade
sudo apt install libdrm-dev libgbm-dev libgles2-mesa-dev libpcap-dev libturbojpeg0-dev libts-dev libsdl2-dev libfreetype6-dev
sudo apt-get install -y aircrack-ng
sudo apt-get install dkms
sudo apt install -y raspberrypi-kernel-headers build-essential bc dkms git

//if using a 32bit OS:
sudo nano /boot/config.txt
add " arm_64bit=0" to bottom of file save and reboot

mkdir -p ~/src
cd ~/src
git clone https://github.com/morrownr/8812au-20210629.git
cd ~/src/8812au-20210629
sudo ./install-driver.sh

config = NO
restart = YES

git clone https://github.com/RomanLut/esp32-cam-fpv.git
cd ./esp32-cam-fpv/gs
git submodule update --init --recursive
make -j4

sudo nano /home/pi/fpv.sh

#!/bin/bash

echo "ESP32-FPV STARTUP"
    cd /home/pi/esp32-cam-fpv
    cd gs
    sudo airmon-ng check kill
    sudo ip link set wlan1 down
    sudo iw dev wlan1 set type monitor
    sudo ip link set wlan1 up
    sudo ./gs -fullscreen 1 -sm 1 -rx wlan1 -tx wlan1

save

sudo chmod +x /home/pi/fpv.sh

//to run at startup

mkdir /home/pi/.config/autostart
nano /home/pi/.config/autostart/fpv.desktop

[Desktop Entry]
    Type=Application
    Name=FPV
    Exec=/usr/bin/bash /home/pi/fpv.sh

save

to install on the esp32s3sense

flash this firmware to the esp32 at address 0x100000
https://github.com/RomanLut/esp32-cam-fpv/files/14732044/firmware.zip

1 Like

I need to get a camera with an IR filter, i cant see anything in daylight.

the video is much better with the new realtek wifi adapter, I havent fixed the UFL connector yet so its still dropping some frames when it vibrates.

it looks really bad by the time its went through the video capture, then edited then compressed to youtube, it looks much better on a monitor.

I changed the ESP32 and added a better antenna thats secured down. Its still dropping a few frames but thats probably all the wifi routers around me.

1 Like

This is such a cool build!
I’ve been tinkering with a small copter for ages and those motors you linked to where perfect for me also.
I can only run betaflight on the TBS podracer AIO but i have a arducopter compatible AIO to go in soon.
I’m only running the smaller 18650GA cells but it should get me about 30min flight times.
That does get me sub 200g rtf with a folding frame though so I’m ohk with that.

3 Likes

nice, what frame is that?

1 Like

Designed and made myself, the joys of a CNC and a resin printer

4 Likes

damn!!! nice job. What resin did you print the frame in? @geofrancis you must have nice neighbors mine freakout anytime they see anything that flies or even drives on their sidewalk!!!

you should try a pair of 21700 cells.

@406FPV they are used to seeing robots driving around lol. I rarely do flight tests in the garden, it’s only flying for a couple of minutes to see if the video worked, so I didn’t have to take the ground station to the park. The weather has just been so unpredictable that it’s been difficult to find time to get a flight. The main reason I don’t normally test in the garden is all the telephone cables that run over it, there used to be space between them, but now everyone also has a fibre cable I’m limited to some low flights over 2 gardens.

Unfortunately I never thought of the larger cell size until I saw your post. The Frame, battery QR mechanism and part of the boom locking are all based around the cell size.

I have some much larger 2302 motors with 9" props that may be a good match though. Those motors were too powerful for a 250g aircraft when I had them on something similar sixed

make it taller, so stack the cells rather than have them side by side.

1 Like

Thankies, just standard esun resin resin, nothing special.

The cage weighs next to nothing and happily takes a 1.5kg of static load which is pretty impressive

4 Likes

It can now loiter indoors with flow hold

2 Likes

The digital video system has received a big update, it now supports MSP OSD and has a GUI for configuration, built in recording, Latency range is 10-30ms!!

2 Likes

Got the new ESP32 FPV MSP canvas mode OSD working with ardupilot, It’s got some font issues, a lot of the elements are incorrect like the horizon and symbols but all the numbers are correct when set to betaflight font mode.