250 Quad with Pixfalcon help

Hi Leonard,

Ok I got lucky with the wind.

Here is the Autotune parameter file:
ZMR250 Autotune 6-8-2017.param (13.3 KB)

And here is the Autotune .bin file:
http://filegooi.co.za/get2/f3c092d775546efc4a23d6ba265c0710/2017-08-06+17-42-00.bin

I did not have a chance to fly it with these settings. A bit dark now and there is no wind. I will test fly it tomorrow and report back. I must say that the autotune went down differently this time. More crisp and purposeful.

Thanks for your help so far.

That tune looks good.

I would suggest dropping these parameters:

ATC_ANG_PIT_P,15
ATC_ANG_RLL_P,15

I have plans to make a change to do this automatically.

Let me know how it feels but as usual. Be very careful on the first take off.

2 Likes

Thanks Leonard,

Will do and see how it flies, I will only be able to do this later today, at work now.

Hi Leonard, Thanks so much
I made all the proposed changes and start with the below setting,

ATC_RAT_PIT_FILT,40
ATC_RAT_RLL_FILT,40
INS_GYRO_FILTER,80

to have a complete overview this is the full parameter list before autotune

correct parameter list 2650.param (13.2 KB)

and this is the autotune log
https://www.dropbox.com/s/fvji08bvgn9ezy2/2017-08-06%2020-28-36.bin?dl=0

But really something strange happen, the autotune made only a ā€œsingle stepā€ and nothing more, it needs a robust radio input from me for making a second thiching, and so onā€¦ was really a pain to make the autotune in 1 axis completed this way.

1 Like

Henry-Iā€™m using that same mini mount with even softer balls with a PixRacer. Overkill Iā€™m sure but I have been able to manually tune it (210 quad) for good flight characteristics. This photo shows 3S but itā€™s flying on 4S now which required a re-tune.

1 Like

Thanks Dave,

Just one question. I notice everybody put the battery on top. I have the battery at the bottom. I donā€™t race or even fly very aggressively. Is the reason just for safety or maybe something else?

Hi Leonard,

I did my first flight this afternoon and it is a lot better if not perfect. Unfortunately there was not a lot of wind, but I hovered close to the road as cars drove by and could not detect any disturbance at the copter. I will do some more test flights when there is more wind and report back.

Here is the .bin file of the flight:
http://filegooi.co.za/get2/11cc841cec14b689a39064835ed47d44/2017-08-07+17-16-53.bin

Should I autotune the YAW axis as well?

Henry-I think either will work itā€™s just a matter of how you choose to build the quad. I actually have the PDB below the bottom plate protected with a plastic bash plate because there wanā€™t enough height with the FC mount and the ESP8266 radio without ridiculously long stand-offs.

1 Like

Iā€™ve done it both waysā€¦
Iā€™ll post pics of mine, in case it helps give anyone ideas about how to build one. I donā€™t know what the best way would beā€¦ My only design goals were to make everything fit, keep it as light as possible, and keep the antenna as far apart as possible.
Then theyā€™ve both been crashed and repaired a lot since I built them, so theyā€™re messyā€¦

1 Like

Hi Henwilsch,

Yes, now you have a reasonable tune on roll and pitch you can do a yaw tune.

I am glad it is flying well!!!

On the battery thing. I saw a paper that suggested that having the CG just above the propeller disk was beneficial to control performance but I have not seen any clear indication that it is the case. I have done both but having the battery below makes it easier to mount the GPS.

1 Like

Hi Leonard,

The other day when Iā€™ve set
ATC_RAT_PIT_FILT,40
ATC_RAT_RLL_FILT,40
INS_GYRO_FILTER,80
the copter seems to flight a lot better! but It can not perform the autotune for the rate noise as you explain me.

So Iā€™ve set back:
ATC_RAT_PIT_FILT,20
ATC_RAT_RLL_FILT,20
INS_GYRO_FILTER,40
and the full parameter list in common for the below autotune session:
post 1 roll.param (13.2 KB)

FC Pixracer firmware 3.5.2 rc2 hard mounted
motors 1306 2400 kv
propellers gemfan 5030
total weight 220g
battery Li-Ion 2S 3300mHA

the 3 last one :
Autotune Roll and Pitch

resulting PID

another Autotune Roll and Pitch

and the resulting PID

another AT roll and pitch

and its PID

The pitch quite often is overshooting, and the last tune seems terrible, after this last one Iā€™m trying new AT but the copter is so instable, fighting to be stabilize after small breeze, heavily on the rollā€¦ so Iā€™ve stopped to make autotune and wait for your suggestions

Thanks!

1 Like

yep, The noise in Autotune is kicking it around.

Lets do have a look at a manual tune. Start off with:

ATC_RAT_PIT_FILT,40
ATC_RAT_RLL_FILT,40
INS_GYRO_FILTER,80

Set Angle P to 10.
Increase Rate D until you see oscillation then drop until you donā€™t see oscillation.
Drop Rate D by 25%
Increase Rate P until you see oscillation then drop until you donā€™t see oscillation.
Drop Rate P by 25%
Increase Angle P until you see oscillation then drop until you donā€™t see oscillation.
Drop Angle P by 25%

Lets see where this takes us. I will look at a couple of changes in Autotune to address some of these issues and then we can compare what you get.

1 Like

Here are two of my main development aircraft for a long time. The QAV was pretty much standard. The bigger one not so much:

Name: My kids call it Willy for some reason (donā€™t ask me!)
Weight: 940g
Motors: Sunny Sky 2208 2600 kV
Battery: 2200 mAh, 4s
Props: Gemfan 6x4.5, Gemfan 6x4 Bullnose, HQProp 6x4.5, APC 6x4E Speed, Quanum 6 x 4.5 Carbon (still experimenting)
Power: 1.4 kW continuous, 2 kW for short bursts
Current: 120 A continuous, 160 A for short bursts
Thrust: 4kg continuous, +6kg for short bursts
Has a custom 200A 4s power module based around the ACS758ECB-200U-PFF-T.

I did a bit of a write up here:

2 Likes

I have a question about manual tuningā€¦
I understand the basics as youā€™ve postedā€¦ Increase until you see oscillation, then decrease until itā€™s gone.

Iā€™ve done that and get similar results to auto-tune. The copter is stable in a hover and gentle flight.
But as others are saying, in the wind or after a fast run or turn, it wobbles. If I fly forward fast and let go of the sticks it rocks back and forth a few times.

I donā€™t know if thatā€™s a sign of too high PIDā€™s, or too low. Is there a definite answer, or could it be either one?

2 Likes

Hi Leonard,

Do i understand correctly - that quad draw 120A??!! That is 10 times more than mine at hover. Whow!

I did a autotune on the yaw axis this evening and here the result:
ZMR250 Autotune Yaw 6-8-2017.param (13.3 KB)

And .bin file is here:
http://filegooi.co.za/get2/9dcf492dd0b7ae810873a0430bc7e079/2017-08-08+17-53-17.bin

If you would be so kind and check if there is any changes you would recommend.

Thanks again for all your help.

Henry

Ciao Leonard,

I spend all afternoon making the in flight tune following the process you describe and with the setting u suggest:
ATC_RAT_PIT_FILT,40
ATC_RAT_RLL_FILT,40
INS_GYRO_FILTER,80

Yestarday already, when Iā€™ve try these parameters seems to works so good on my light build (220g), but cannot works with autotune so today Iā€™ve work with this manual tuningā€¦
Iā€™ve try indoor without any wind ā€¦but I cannot see any significant difference in a large spectrum from min to max, Iā€™m trying to explain:
Apart from Stabilize P (its linked ROLL and PITCH), Iā€™ve focus only on ROLL part for the RATE,
I try with rate D Roll from 0.001 to 0.006, in the end I set at 0.002-0.003 only because it seems so much 0.006, but to be honest I could see some slight slight oscillation only at 0.006 and more, maybe!
After I try several time with rate P roll from 0.05 to 0.12 and I really cannot see any difference (all autotune before sets this from 0.03 to 0.05), now infact Iā€™m flying with 0.12! only because outdoor with some wind it seems to have little more authority, but still Iā€™m not sure to have any perceptible difference.
So Iā€™ve set this 0.12 and also for I rate ROLL; passing to Stabilize P from 10 to 18ā€¦and also here I cannot perceive any difference indoor and outdoor!

Iā€™m lost, do I really have to make more extreme maximum?

Before during autotune I was seeing a huge impact from ATC_ACCEL_P_MAX and ATC_ACCEL_R_MAX, that we are not considering in this process.

This is the last full parameter list:
2400 kv manual tuning.param (13.2 KB)

In general I need to focus on wind ability PID, this is the important aspect because is the greatest and evident fault we have and Iā€™m happy to see also other people are complaing here and in other theads.

Yours build seems so powerful, mine its hovering at 4A (220g) and at maximum arrives about at 10-12A, seems really different from yours example. My build have only 5mm clearance from every props, 5" 5030, really lightweight props
like 1,6 -1,7 gram each one.

1 Like

Hi, Since you both mentioned Leonardā€™s 120A figure, I just want to mention, he means that is the max power he can sustain. That isnā€™t his hover throttleā€¦ Heā€™s got 30A escā€™s and motors/props capable of drawing that much power, so can run 120A continuously if he wants. (I doubt heā€™s usually flying around that fast, though)

1 Like

Hi Wicked1,

This is probably one of two things,

ATC_ANG_PIT_P,
ATC_ANG_RLL_P,

are too high. Drop them back to 10 and see if you still have the same issue. Autotune can make these a little high sometimes. This is one of the things I want to fix.

If you have set these parameters manually:
ATC_ACCEL_P_MAX,
ATC_ACCEL_R_MAX,
then they may be too high. You could try dropping them back down to 110000 and see how you go there.

Yeh, I normally only see 120A as I punch out from a stationary start or in a turn. Most of the flight I am around the 60 to 80 amps. If I push really hard I can flatten the battery in under 2 minutes. Obviously hover is much lower.

1 Like

Hi Giorgio,

Lets keep on going up until you clearly see oscillation on each step then back off until it goes away. And could you send me the log of your test so I can see how the aircraft performed.

Thanks and chat soon,
Leonard

1 Like

Hi Henwilsch,

The tune on yaw looks good. I would suggest dropping the ATC_ANG_YAW_P to 9. Other than that it looks very good!

Please let us know how you find the flight characteristics.

1 Like