17 inch quad, cube black, weird yaw and throttle behavior

The ESC you linked is BLHeli_32 so it would support bidirectional-DShot as well as probably supporting separate ESC telemetry via the TX pad.

1 Like

It does. That’s what the TX pin is for. You will have to use ESC telemetry for motor RPM as your FC does not have a bidirectional Dshot firmware option.

Hi,

I haven’t yet gotten my 4in1 ESC yet but I wanted to ask for some advice on how to implement it. As it’s made primarily for smaller high kv motors I would assume that I have to change some of the settings on the ESC to use it with my larger motors. Like @xfacta said, I should turn off "Low RPM Power Protect ". Is there any other settings I should change before I test it?

Thanks

The BLHeli_32 manual is at BLHeli/BLHeli_32 manual ARM Rev32.x.pdf at master · bitdump/BLHeli · GitHub

I haven’t used it with large props, but you might look at “maximum acceleration” and “rampup power”.

For “Low RPM Power Protect” you might want to experiment with the “On Adaptive” setting supported as of version 32.9.

1 Like

Maybe just reduce Rampup Power, but that’s not a definite thing.
There’s some other settings I use that are personal preference, not specifically required. Like lowering the temperature protect to about 100 (I find the default value is unrealistic and unachievable) and turning on the sine modulation.

1 Like

I’ve got my ESC today! Although I don’t know how to connect it to a computer, to make all the necessary changes?

Install it, wire it to the flight controller, you connect thru the FC (passthru).

Thanks!

Can I just use the blheli configurator/blheli suite and connect to the serial port? Or do I have to tell the cube that I want pass through?

You should probably read the Wiki for BLHeli_32 ESC’s and passthru. You use the configurator with the FC connected via USB the same as you use Mission Planner. There are a few parameters you need to set for BLHeli_32, Dshot and passthru.
The serial port connection is between the ESC and a Cube serial port for telemetry. Of course there is a parameter for the serial port to set also for this.

1 Like

Thanks,

I’ll read through the instuctions and set it up tomarrow!

The dshot instructions says I need to use the AUX ports on my FC

Is this true for the cube black and why is that?

Yes, and it’s true for any Flight Controller with an I/O MCU (AKA co-processor). Dshot won’t run on those outputs. So use the AUX outputs and re-assign the motor outputs to them.

1 Like

Thanks,

I’ll do that tomarrow, almost an houre past midnight here in Sweden now

I’ve set up Dshot and I’m using AUX 1, 2, 3, 4 with motor 1 connected to Aux 1 and so on, according to the arducopter motor diagram.

I have an issue though, in the motor test tab, i thought motor A corresponds to motor 1 on the diagram, B to 2, and so on. Although when I test, motor A corresponds to motor 1, B to motor 4, C to 2, and D to 3.

I have set up, in the servo output tab in mandatory hardware, so that output 9 is motor 1, 10 is motor 2 and so on. I assumed that output 9 is AUX 1 and output 10 is AUX 2…

I’m sure that I know which servo lead from the 4in1 ESC goes to which motor. I tested all servo leads from one port and color marked them to their motor.

Than I connected motor one to AUX 1, motor 2 to AUX 2 and so on. Than the issue in the motor test tab was discovered.

So,

(In servo output tab)

(AUX 1) OUT 9 = Motor 1
(AUX 2) OUT 10 = Motor 2
(AUX 3) OUT 11 = Motor 3
(AUX 4) OUT 12 = Motor 4

(Aux port that was activated when motor test was executed)

AUX 1: Motor test A
AUX 2: Motor test C
AUX 3: Motor test D
AUX 4: Motor test B

I’m unsure of what happens here, I thought that the the motor test A would be motor 1 on the diagram and than AUX 1, Motor test B was motor 2 on the diagram and AUX 2 and so on

Thanks

You are reading the diagram wrong it is not 1A
2 B
3 C
4 D

Look at it more closely

1 Like

Oh… Thanks

bad of me to just assume that it’s a,1 2,b…

Found a picture explaining it on the wiki, it’s 1A, 2C, 3D, and 4B, as it’s working on the drone. Appears that there is no issue.

Thanks for pointing it out!

Dave,

I managed to get the ESCs up and running. I changed some of the settings in the configurator, like turning off low rpm power protection. And messed around with the rampup power setting, leaving it at 70 I think. But all motors spin in the right direction and are hooked up to the right port.

Next step, would be to set up my notch again, right?

So, I should turn off my dynamic notch, and disable the FFT, than run a test-flight to evaluate my new noise values.

Than enable rpm based dynamic harmonic notch, tell me if I missed something.

Also, I set up my rpm telemetry, motor pole number to 24 instead of 14. I have t-motor MN4014-11 370kv with the config, 18N24P. So I guessed that the 24P would be my number of poles.

Also, my temperature reading from the ESC was at 53 degrees celcius and my voltage at about 11.3 volts. My battery was at 22.8 V and the temperature should have been room temperature since I didn’t even arm before looking at the values.

Thanks!

All correct, nice progress Axel! .

1 Like

Thanks!

I forgot the Hover P and I parameters, but I’ll set them aswell sincethe aircraft is slightly lighter nog.

2.5kg with 6s 6000mah battery. It’s going to be interesting to see the flight times on this one

Edit: Attatching some pictures of the new clean setup just for fun

No need to disable the notch filter. Just log the pre filter values.

1 Like