Z Axis Vibrations

Lead sheet…I must have missed that

Ah found it.
Ordering some today

I uses a similar O-ring setup on a large hex a while back and adding a 50g lead block on top of the Pixhawk helped a lot.

Interesting.
Seems everything I have read about vibration dampening, it talks about mass and the problem with FC’s is their lack of mass.

Ordering some lead today.

Where’s all your fishing gear? Lead is included… I’ve found there’s two types of people: those that do a lot of fishing, and those that just have all the fishing gear lying around gathering dust from when they tried fishing :slight_smile:
And a hammer, you just need a lead sinker and a hammer.

2 Likes

ha
three types of people…the third being people that don’t fish and don’t collect useless stuff hahaha.
That said Amazon has lead sheeting cheap. So I ordered some today. Be here this week.
I will mod my mount to include the lead.

1 Like

Hi Marty, just estimating because flight time hasn’t specifically been tested (not that I’m aware of anyway) but probably about 20mins on 4S 5Ahr Lipo. The flights performed so far were pointing to that outcome.

1 Like

I told you earlier, I have little experience with caseless FCs. The metal-case ones are heavier and easier to properly damp.
Back during the transition between APM2 and plastic-case Pixhawk, I’ve employed a design where the FC, LiPo and gimbal were hardmounted to each other and dampened against the rest of frame-ESCs-motors.

2 Likes

Sounds like an interesting design.
I confess I am enjoying all this input…It gets the brain working. Makes me think of things to try with future design.

Thank you for your input.

1 Like

Now that’s a way to hard mount. A big mass will work! :grinning:

1 Like

@Leonardthall likes to strap his flight controllers to the top plate together with the lipo for exactly this effect - apparently.

1 Like

Several years ago on one of those cheap F450 frames I mounted the FC to the top of the bottom plate and the battery on the bottom of that plate. This worked very well for what is generally a garbage frame.

1 Like

Google-search for “Kyosho Zeal” as well. Expensive, but probably the best thing I’ve ever laid my hands on. Also, from back in the hayday of hard-disk-drives and silent computing, there were some vibration-damping silicone gaskets I’ve used to eliminate camera jello. More modern, there’s DJI’s camera dampers for Inspire 2, that are vasseline-filled rubber dampers.

1 Like

Ok so mass needs to be added for sure it sounds like.
So I updated the O-Ring mount to include space for the lead to be added and not fall off.

Hey Cornel I use that zeal on my other drones and it works great. Just not this one. There is a mechanical issue I think at play.

Lead is on order.
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07DHQZTGC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Cornel,the kyosho zeal is awesome if you can not get that you can use moongel available at most music shops what a great thread this is

Moongel can work unless it get’s hot. I tried it once on a quad with a canopy and a summer day here ~32C turned it goopy :slight_smile:

Funny story when I bought that stuff. A locally famous drummer was in the store and came over when I asked for it. We had a laugh when I told him the use case!

1 Like

Dave,you need to move to Scotland you wont have that problem will need a blow torch to free it lol,while you are here Dave I have beta 4.1-4 on myhexsoon can i use the latest FFT as in the wiki and thank you.

Haha! Keeps getting hotter here…

On Cube Orange? Yes, starting with 4.1.0 Beta1.

1 Like

That 3D design with the lead part looks nice. Don’t let the looks fool you, tho’. :stuck_out_tongue:
Why isn’t it identical on X and Y ? And, what if it’s heavy enough to stretch the silicone o-rings so it touches the 3D-print during heavy maneouvering ?

1 Like

thanks Dave will do that in next couple of days then redo auto tune then plenty plenty of mission,s and fun

So you don’t have BLHeli_32 ESC’s Marty?

1 Like