WP Speed Increased in Auto Flt Mode

I am trying to achieve a much higher speed than default when moving from WP to WP. Going through many of the Parameters I am not getting anywhere. I have increased WPNAV_SPEED_UP to 1000 cm/s.
Is there a way to achieve 15 to 20 meters per second in transitioning from a waypoint with an altitude of 10 meters to a waypoint with an altitude of 150 meters. In Stabilized mode, the quad can accelerate and maintain a high rate of speed. I would like to duplicate that speed in Auto mode.
The speed of a descent is equally desired. In Auto mode can a high speed descent rate be achieved? An example would from an altitude of ~150M to 10M at a 60 degree slope.

Copter 3.5, Mission Planner 1.3.44

WPNAV_SPEED_UP is only the climb rate. If you want to travel faster laterally, you need to increase WPNAV_SPEED too. You can also change the WPNAV_SPEED “on the fly” using the set speed command within a mission.

Thanks Matt!
I totally I missed that :slight_smile: WPNAV_SPEED

I see that the upper limit is 2000 cm/s, do you know if that can be exceeded? I’m guessing I would have to compile a version of MP to accomplish it?

To ‘change speed’ on the fly, would I do this under the Actions tab?

I’ve never tried to put in a number that exceeds the limit stated in the Wiki. But I can tell you that’s 44mph and I wouldn’t want to try either!

When you’re creating a mission, you can add a waypoint and change it from a waypoint to DO_SET_SPEED. It will change the speed upon crossing the prior waypoint.

You can input any value you like, you will just get a warning that it is exceeding the default range. I have WP_SPEED as a channel 6 option on a Tx pot. This can be set before the Mission starts or on the fly if you are within RC control range. Or you can use DO_CHANGE_SPEED within a mission.

Thanks a lot Matt and Dave… your info helped me quite a bit today. I’ll be doing some test runs soon.

Thanks Matt!
I totally I missed that :slight_smile: WPNAV_SPEED

Dollars to donuts you’ll also want to modify WPNAV_ACCEL as well.

I’ve never touched WPNAV_ACCEL, ever actually. I don’t think it’s something you can change with a mission command either?

Is there a reason to limit the WPNAV_SPEED_UP? I want to be able to climb as fast a possible in a controlled manner. The limit in Mission Planner is 1000cm/sec. I can override that number and it will write it to the autopilot.

Other than not pushing the aircraft, motors, and battery “too hard”, or compromising video stability, no not really.

One note, if ch6 is set to wp nav speed, as you turn the knob it will jump to 10m/s. It is not progressive as you expect from a knob. Other than that it will override the speed set in the mission.