Wierd yaw issue Newly setup quad

Hey guys I recently switched from librepilot to Ardupilot. I am running a pixhawk with 3.4.2 on it.

I got it all set up and ready to the other day. Sat down with it tonight in the house to make sure it would lift off the ground. All good there 50% throttle and it lifted up. I have not tuned it or did autotrim or savetrim. I have calibrated everything. balanced props and Made sure COG was in center of quad. ALso Measured Vibrations. According to WIKI everything is with limits nicely.

I have a X650F Frame with
afro 30A ESC
Multistar 2216 920kv motors that are no longer 920KV I rewound them they are around 460KV I run them on 6s with 12x4.3 Props.
M8N GPS

I am wanting to do an Autotune but WIKI says that you should do it inside with no wind. I dont have a place big enough to do the autotune. Is it possible to do it outside on a not so windy day?

I do have some small oscillations in the pitch and roll axis. Very small though you see it as a very very small twitch. The other issue I am having is the quad wants to yaw back and forth on its own. It doesnt seem like it is predictable, But does do it quite often. Sometime it will yaw one way about 10 degrees and then yaw the other way 5 degrees. What is this and what causes’ it? How do I fix it? I am assuming this is a a tuning issue but dont know so I thought I would ask,.

Thanks for any help. I did do some searching to try and find an answer. I am either not putting the right words together or there is nothing out there, which I highly doubt.

Hi jtroutt19,

Have you check the center points of transmitter?

Have you did correct accel and compass calibration?

I use Tarot 650 Quad, Tarot 680 Hexa, and i used since v.3.3.3 to 3.4.3 without problem of yaw (in all versions).

Yes, you should have as little wind as possible. It doesn’t matter if it is inside or outside, just that the autotune process isn’t affected by external forces.

Yes sir I have don the accel calibration and compass calibration just like the example videos show. I have even done them over just to make sure. I will say I do have a really nice altitude hold. I couldnt be happier with that. I have not tried any other modes as of yet.

I feel like I am going to have to tune manually. It being basically winter time. I live in indiana and it is pretty much windy every day in the winter time here. Which I am not confident at all in my manual tuning skills but, I guess at some point I have to learn right. There is one place in the city that allows indoor flying but max size is a 450. I exceed that by 100mm.

I just had an idea. As long as I can get a GPS lock, I should be able to do it in a parking garage, Not a whole but of height but that should be fine.

A little update and some questions.

I went outside to do the autotune today. I wanted to do a set trim first so I got it up in the air and moved my trims until it was as stable as i could get landed it flipped my switch reset trims and got it back in the air. Results were great, at first…I then flipped into altitude hold which was working great last night inside the house but outside in the 20 degree air it was not holding its altitude very well. I wanted to proceed with the auto tune so i flipped the switch and it started doing its thing. Over the course of the next 5 minutes it proceeded to start drifting very badly in between twitches. I had to abandon the autotune, so I landed turned off autotune and took back off. The thing was drifting just as bad as before I did the save trim. So I redid the save trim and got it flying stable again.

At this point I have decided to do one axis at a time with autotune. So I am charging up my batteries and will attempt this again. I am getting frustrated at this point. Not sure what I am doing wrong. the quad is balanced I took my gimbal off and centered my batteries in the center of the quad. Check CG and its spot on. Props are nice and balanced. I rechecked that as well…what next?