Why does the FPV or DJI mini GPS receiver lie so near the FC and is fine?

@ Alberto_Ds
The wire mesh is also conductive but doesn’t cause any issues with the compass. - As my setup seen in above photo confirms.

1 Like

I had a benewake and lightware usually the casing grounds the lidar. Becareful that it doesn’t have any material that electrically connects to your gps as well.
Gps should be isolated from anything electrical conductive especially you are using electrical conductive pla. It defeats the purpose if your gps antenna are also connected to the source of EMI.

1 Like

DJI shields each and every component. See the photo of the Mavic Air 2 mainboard.

One major issue is the shielding of RX/TX and especially I2C wires to the GPS unit. You need to carefully shield them from the plug at the GPS board to the FC and ground the shielding. I use self adhesive copper tape and solder a wire to GND close to battery.

A digital VTX (HDZero/Walksnail) and even a GoPro also disturbs GPS reception massively. Keep a distance of at least 5-6cm…

The compass is mostly unproblematic.

3 Likes

And then we have an Arducopter build :grinning:

sauce

2 Likes

arducopters may also look clean :wink:

Just invest in some shielding around cables, ESC, FC via copper tape or aluminum sheets and your arducopter flies much more robust. GPS lock time reduces drastically, more satellites and no GPS glitches anymore…

2 Likes

Yes, looks nice. I’m kind of particular with my builds too.