Where to find the latest list of ArduPilot supported MavLink commands?

I’ve been asked to advise a local team that’s developing a custom mission planning application for ArduPilot equipped drones.

Its been some time since I looked into the roster of MavLink commands specifically supported by Ardupilot. But as I recall, ArduPilot has it’s own fork supporting Ardupilot specific MavLink commands.

I also seem to recall that while the ArduPilot fork adds to the list of supported MavLink commands, ArduPilot only supports a sub-set of the “official” set of MavLink commands.

Would someone please suggest the appropriate links to the locations where I can find a complete set of ArduPilot supported MavLink commands?

I recall that there were XML files that contained much of this information.

And perhaps there’s been changes to how AdruPilot handles all this since I last looked into it. I’d appreciate help on getting my hand back around the subject.

Many Thanks!

No significant changes to basic handling/processing - just more support added as of the latest development version(s).

Look at the open source ArduPilot fork of mavlink at GitHub - ArduPilot/mavlink: MAVLink micro air vehicle marshalling / communication library
That ist the latest version. To see which messages are supported and to see the extent that they are supported you need to take a look at ArduPilot’s source code.

Thanks Yuri - I remember going through ardupilotmega.xml now - I appreciate you help!

Thanks Amilcarlucas -

Do I understand correctly that I can’t consider ardupilotmega.xml as an authoritative list?

If so - where do I find the relevant sections of source code?

ArduPilotmega.xml from ArduPilot’s fork is the autorative source for 20% of the messages the others are on common.xml , and for those other 80% you need to look at the source code.

Thanks amilcarlucas -

Looking through an XML file is one thing. Looking through the source code is another. Maybe no different for someone already contributing. But for someone who just wants to understand what’s available to use it’s an unreasonable request.

By copy to @tridge and @rmackay9 (please forgive my intrusion) - do you have any suggestions on how individuals who want to have a list of the MavLink commands supported by ArduPilot can obtain such a list?

Also - by the way - in my case at the moment, I’m only interested in the MavLink commands that might occur in an auto mission’s waypoints file.

My understanding of how ArduPilot uses MavLink is limited - but I thing the MavLink messaging protocol is used for a much broader scope than just auto missions.

I’m not sure if that makes the task of identifying the MavLink commands of interest any harder or easier.

If there’s someone with particular expertise in this area, would you please tag them for their input and assistance?

90% of the messages are supported. Save yourself the trouble of finding all the details. Just start implementing.

Thanks - looks like that’s the only option.

They say: “It’s not the right tool if you don’t know how to use it.” It’s gaps in the available information that makes ArduPilot vulnerable to this maxim.

1 Like