Where can I get good motors?

Hello Jerry, I think you can use the web interface’s ‘System status’ > ‘Motors’ > ‘Motor Testing’ with a power level of 100 on all motors to check if the quad has enough power to lift up. Be careful doing this test for obvious reasons. This test would rule out any calibration problems that would cause the quad to not want to lift up.

If the quad still does not lift up it may be because they are designed to operate at a higher voltage than the Sky Viper original motors were. For that there might not really be an easy way to cope with that.

The replacement motors that I ordered on Amazon Canada arrived , the key difference from the stock motor that I am replacing is the stock motor is not ventalated on the top & the new motor appears to have a brass bushing, barrel or bearing not sure what it is…where the shaft enters the top of the motor & the shaft is approximately 1 or 1.5mm in lenght shorter by estimation. There is no pinion on the new motors but I removed the one off the dead motor & it appears to fit with no clearance issues on the shorter shaft but I haven’t mounted the motor yet.
This is the confusing part, the new wire colors are black & white, & the old motors are red & white for the motor that I am replacing, which I think is the clockwise motor, by looking at the shape of the prop, its marked A & it’s on the front port side. The new motors have slightly different colored end caps, one being beige/grey, the other one white. The white end cap has white & black wires, the beige/grey has red & blue
wires.
The motor I need to replace has a beige/grey end cap but red & white wires. Please advise what I should do?
This is what I ordered …
BTG 1S 3.7V 8520 8.5x20mm Mini Coreless Motor Set for Tiny QX90 QX95 LT105 Kingkong Q100 JJPRO T1 T2 90mm-130mm DIY Micro Nano FPV Racing Quadcopter Racer Drone Miniquad Frame
Update :::
Well the first try with hooking white to white red to black resulted in motor spinning cow instead of cw . Time to disassemble and melt those 2 decent joints I manged to finally get to form. The super small wires are so small it’s next to impossible for me to do any thing with them due to badl hand tremor . Thank God for wife’s help . Reversed wires and it’s airborne inside all appears good after I quick calibrated and did a fixed manometer calibration . Weathers turned back to cold and to breezy to try out doors yet . Maybe tomorrow. I have photos I’ll try and post in case they help some other person .:sunglasses:[Preformatted text](https://photos.app.goo.gl/hs0ICedfGRrn3SRf1)https://photos.app.goo.gl/hs0ICedfGRrn3SRf1

I guess a question I have is what KV the stock motors are? I don’t see what it is on the original or the replacements listed. I put a SV S1700 FC in a 65mm TW frame with 17,000kv motors and it’s crazy fast.

1 Like

As an update on my motor problems, the motors from Hobbyking look like exact match with end cap colors and wire colors being the same as the original. There are no other markings on them so It is impossible to be sure. I needed to replace the left front motor (red and blue wires) and the first one worked for only a few flights before failing to a half bad state such that it would spin but had less than half of the required power. I replaced it with the second motor from the set and it seems fine after several flights. It was the suggestion from RUSTBOX to use a 100 setting on the motor test which revealed the lack of power.

1 Like

Can you post a link to them? Also, did they come with the pinions?

Good source for plugs @ 10 cents each:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/40pcs-20pair-Micro-Min-JST-SH-1-25mm-2-Pin-Male-Female-Connector-with-Wire/32799624115.html?

Man! I had no idea Jeff Gordan was into SkyViper drones!

I have replaced motors of one of my SVs. One of motors requires very high throttle. Below 149th log maps RCOUT 1-4 and blue one shows it is maxing out. It resulted inability to flight against wind or unexpected early landing etc.

Got CL-0820-15 motors from Micro Motor Warehouse and replaced all. It is very well documented. I got a cheaper one from HobbyKing but gave up as I could not identify which is CW and CCW. MMW has a few kvs. Not sure which, picked up middle to low one.

Replacement was straight forward, can finish in one hour. My MMW motor came with shorter wires and 11T pinion. I simply cut and soldered to existing SV motor wire, replaced pinion with SVs 13T one.(push on)
Marked motors rotation direction CW and CCW according to MMW photo. Also marked SVs motor as well. (Front Right motor is CW, for example)
MMW motor polarity is also documented well. SVs motor wires are Red-Blue and Red-White. Red is plus and rest are minus.

If you are not sure, SV Web I/F, System -> Motor testing function was handy to test each motor.

Disassemble SV, unscrew 8 + 2 + 2 screws to remove bottom battery holder, bottom white part. It may not be necessary to remove flight board.

Lift SV arm black plastic part to remove.

Now motor can be removed by pushing from pinion gear side.

Cut motor wire, and solder to MMW motor, cover soldering part with shrink tube.

Assemble arm, careful to route wires well. Screw back. Done!

Probably I should break-in these brushed motors, but I skipped…This is indoor flight log after replacement. it shows SV can hover well with no excessive throttle till 3.3V.

Satoru

4 Likes

Really good post Satoru_Sasaki.Thank you.

1 Like

My first time looking at the SkyViper, and I see a lot of good info in this thread.

In regards to the Kv of the motors, could someone measure the unloaded (no prop) RPM and voltage of a stock motor? The Kv will be the RPM / voltage. This seems to be the missing info here …

llamatrails, probably not accurate but I tried the Audacity audio software, microphone, piece of tape on the bare shaft method. Several captures and all calculated to 60k rpm. So 16,200KV ?

Great !! That will make it easier to find replacement motors, maybe even use higher Kv ones too.

That’s just my web search, amateur finding and it could be wrong. Don’t take it as gospel but 17,00KV is considered fast and 19,00KV insane speed by MMW. I’ve been buying my motors for other drones from BetaFPV on Amazon and they have worked fine.

I’m going to take some of this info and add it to the Wiki, since we don’t have anything official from Sky Rocket…this seems like the best info.

Just to make sure I have the info correct.

They are 8.5x20mm ~ 16,000-17,000 kV. The little pinion is 13T and the big one is special. lol.

Did I get anything wrong?

No I think you got it. I marked every 10th tooth on the special gear and it looks like 73T is the total. That would be a gear ratio of about 5.6.

If I were buying replacement motors I go with the 17,000K

1 Like

Cannot say if they are “good motors” but this may be worth researching. Can’t find dimensions but maybe a note to the seller?

. . . as a side note, has anyone attempted to install bronze bearings on the main gear shaft? I have seen pilots that are having trouble with gear mess clearances and this may help.
Just a thought . . . the frame seems to have enough meat to permit this since the stock setup has so much slop.

The stock motors in my Syma X5SW were 8x16. I replaced them with 8x20s. You’ll need 8.5x20s for the Sky Viper.

For REAL !! Six hours seams minimal for a new drone especially when I’ve got 4 batteries for my 2450 and can fly 30 to 4o mins So do I return drone to the store (purchased 2 yr warranty) or do I dive in and start learning drone mechanics 101??

Hi Jerry,

I just ordered 2 sets or motors from hobby king as I destroyed one engine the 4th time recharged my battery. One motor got stuck in long grass and I guess/hope it burned. I am new to drones I thought better crash in soft grass than on hard stone. I gues I learned a lesson here.

Only after ordering I noticed there are no gears/sprockets attachted to the motor. It is hard to exchange the sprockets between the motors? I ordered these (https://hobbyking.com/nl_nl/brushed-motor-4-pcs-per-set.html) Do you think I they fit the old sprocket?

I do see they are selling now at sky rocket. (http://replacementparts-skyrockettoys-com.3dcartstores.com/2450-GPS-Motor-set_p_143.html). Update. They only seem to ship to US and canada so no help there for me.

Did anyone every find out if the aliexpress SYMA replacemnet set fits the v2450?

Regards

Hans

I just ordered 6 3.7v 1200 maH batterys from banggood for $23 plus $4 shipping w/ a multi charger