What is the most Basic Controller to use with a Boat and Mission Planner?

What is the most Basic Controller to use with a Boat and Mission Planner?

1 Like

John,

Our list of supported autopilots is here. The simplest/easiest is the Pixhawk1. Pixhawk2 is more sophisticated (onboard vibration dampening, built in board heater) but is also easy to use.

If you’re looking for super cheap, then Rover-3.3 should support the really cheap small boards like the F4BY.

When will Rover 3.3 be available Randy?

John,

Rover-3.3 should start beta testing within the next week. I just want to get this PR from Peter Barker in because it should allow better ROS integration which a lot of people want.

I don’t think 3.3 is going to fix the underlying problem we see in your boat’s control though. I think the big fix for separate-steering-and-throttle in boats comes from supporting “vectored thrust” which I hope we can handle by scaling back the steering response as the throttle increases. I’ve got some untested code here that I hope to try in the next couple of weeks… I want to at least test it in our simulator before asking you to give it a try… so Peter Barker is enhancing our simulator to act more like what we think these boats act like.

That is great news Randy, if we can get this running perfect parallel lines it will be FANTASTIC!

I played with the MOT_MAX and reduced to 50%, made a big difference to over revving