Waypoint Following

Hi,
I have been looking at how waypoint following is implemented and from what I can tell, there is a “leash” that the copter is on that follows a moving target and the target moves along the path between the two waypoints.

I’m (1) curious why the waypoint following is implemented in this way and what it buys you and (2) wondering if there is a way to manually set the position of the target from off-board control.

Also, it looks like there are some methods for fitting a spline through multiple waypoints and having the copter follow this smoothed path (as opposed to the straight-line between the waypoints.) When is this used? Does the copter always try to follow the spline or is there a specific mode that must be set to enable it?

Thanks,
Jason

There are examples of connecting a Rasberry Pi to a Pixhawk or other board and using a cellular data dongles that allow you to send cords to your board in mid flight. I am not sure if that is what your asking by: [quote] wondering if there is a way to manually set the position of the target from off-board control[/quote]

There are also many other ways that follow me is implemented, including with a radio that plugs into your phone. 3DR sells this. I bet this could allow “setting a target”

I can’t help with your first one, as I do not know what the waypoint following your refering to is. I’m not even sure if I helped with either of your questions, sorry hah :confused: