Vtx hardware recommendations

So I have a rover (boat actually) that I am in the middle of configuring and have a question about what vtx I should use…

I’m looking at vtx support and it seems like smart audio is only working for a few vtx’s because of poor sa implementation on the vtx hardware suppliers…

I bought a akk race ranger and it doesn’t seem to work… I get no reaction from the vtx to any parameter changes…

Then mistakenly bought a panda rc vt5804 v3 thinking it was a good vtx… It has active cooling… But it only supports irc tramp (arduPilot doesn’t support)

So before I go out and waste more money can anyone suggest a 5.8ghz vtx that works with arduPilot and has a high output/range?

I’m running a rdf900+
Frysky access 2.4ghz
HolyBro pixhawk 4 mini

My frysky access 2.4ghz doesn’t support smart audio… I do have a crossfire system but the telemetry is limited and I need a stable telemetry link so I swapped to frsky 2.4ghz and rfd900. I understand that crossfire is working better with smart audio but telemetry is limited and telemetry is more important to me.

I’m really looking for the longest range I can get with 5.8Ghz and although I can add active cooling it be nice to have it intigrated already.

Leaning towards the akk again as they have one model that has active cooling already Ultra Long Range VTX | AKK 1000mW&2000mW&3000mWVTX FPV Video Transmitter 10km

If anyone can recommend a working vtx I’d be very appreciative

It doesn’t answer your Tvx question but there is the Crossfire Nano Rx Pro. Up to 500mw of telemetry power.

From the reading I’ve done the crossfire telemetry is limited…

Meaning the throughput isn’t sufficient for full telemetry and control…

Add to this the link to the GCS is flaky at best. That’s why I went with rfd900…

My rc control is secondary and if needed I should be able to send mavlink rc override commands.

It’s a boat so latency isn’t to much of an issue.

But I sure would like a vtx that works with arduPilot…

Maybe I shouldn’t worry about it and just run the vtx at full power…

I don’t know enough about it to say if that’s a good idea and how much power savings I can get by limiting the vtx output when I don’t need it

I can answer that. I have a 2W AKK Vtx on a rover and the power consumption relative to the overall power demand is insignificant. My only initial problem was it could make toast but mounting it to an aluminum plate solved that. And no, no attempt to connect Smartaudio, which it claims to support, I just run it at max.

Thanks for the replies :slight_smile: