VTOL Y3 project

Hi guys! My name is Fede. Nice to meet you all at this awesome community.

I am new in the RC world, and I am starting with a big project: I want to build a Tri-motor Tilt Rotor VTOL. Some specs:

• Frame: Volantex Ranger 2000
  • Target MTOW: 6 kg.
  • Target flight time: 2.5 hours.

Doing some research I chose SunnySky X3520 KV520 motor with 14x8 props. The specs of this combination are:

I calculated an 0.6:1 thrust-to-weight ratio to choose the motors (cruise). So for a weight of 6 kg, I estimate a 3600 gf divided by 3 motors = 1250 gf per motor. According to the table above, I will have a current draw of 7.8 A and 174 W per motor (23.4A 522W total).

But on the other hand, I read a rule of thumb of 100W per 1 pound (13 pounds = 1300 W), so I am a little bit lost.

I would appreciate your help to understand the current draw and power consumption in order to choose the correct battery for the target flight time (6S).

Thanks in advance, best regards

Hi Fede, I have the Ranger2000 and my MTOW is 2.5kg. I do not think it will fly very well at 6kg if it would fly at all!
On the other hand, when you size your motors for a vtol, take into consideration that you need to lift that vertically, so you need a power system able to lift at least 10kg for a MTOW of 6kg. The closer you are to 2:1 thrust the better your chances to make it work!

Good luck!