Vtol with an payload on the end of an 1 metre rope

Hi, Im new at VTOL and I need help about it. Our mission is carrying a bottle(with 1 meter rope) and take a tour. My VTOLs wing span ll be around 2 meter. Is there anything I should take care of beforehand? I need some suggest.

The payload rope must be attached vertically below the c of g, but you probably guessed that,
Whats the application?

Hi @Scott_Nunan

This is the task of a local competition. With vtol, I need to carry the weight of the load I chose at the end of the 1 meter rope. Unfortunately, this will be my first vtol experience, so I wanted to ask what I should pay attention to here. the rope is really a scary challenge what can i do about it and what should i watch out for? Also, on the ardupilot quadplane page, it talks about the need to manually set the pid, frankly, this scared me. Doing this in a vtol with 2 meters wingspan worries me, is it really necessary or what do you think doing all the things written on that page will give me?

https://ardupilot.org/plane/docs/quadplane-vtol-tuning-process.html#quadplane-vtol-tuning-process

The load weight is gradually increasing and I look forward to your test videos.

1 Like

I will share our flight video as soon as possible.But I need an advise please :slight_smile:

It’s absolutely necessary.

Thanks,
Yep but why and What should I pay attention to. Is there an item that I should be particularly careful about? Or what other advice can you give?

Why VTOL, not plane or copter?

because the competition wants it that way

The competition needs to fly like a plane, draging glider(payload)?

Yes.I think they want to test how stable we can fly.

My point is it’s necessary to set some initial parameters, defaults will likely not work well on Copters or Quadplanes. Set the Initial Tuning Parameters 1st (these are for copter functions) then move on to configuring the Notch filter. Assuming it’s flying OK then run the Quicktune Lua script. This is all before transitioning to forward flight.
A swinging payload on a Plane doesn’t sound like the greatest idea. It’s common practice on a Multirotor for some survey applications.

Thank you for answer. I will do them.Is there are any video abouth them. I’m especially curious about the behavior of the notch filter and the lua script.

It seems like you are very new to the ArduPilot world - I recommend getting a small kit for a multirotor and fixed wing plane (and maybe even trying combining them later on) and learn on those platforms otherwise you are going to run into a lot of issues with this process.

1 Like

If the competition is 100% sure that VTOL is needed. I recommend just follow andy’s setup.

And you can find a series about T1 ranger setup at Painless360.

1 Like