VTOL Plane Will Not Arm From Remote and other issues

Hi there,
So I’m making a quadplane as part of a school project but I am having some problems with it. I’ll give some advance warning that this might be quite vague when describing problems so if anyone needs any more information I’ll do my best to provide it (I’m still very new to this).

I am able to arm the drone when it is connected by USB to my laptop running the APM Planner 2 program however if I disconnect the laptop and attempt to arm it using the stick arming on my remote it appears to not respond at all.

Alongside this when I do arm it the motors appear to idle at a speed way too high, I have tested the motors and speed controllers separately and know that they can run at a much lower speed. Any idea how I can change this?

Also I have been unable to actuate the servo motor responsible for tilting the motors, is there an easy way to test this? I can switch between modes, and this changes the setup of the control surfaces however it never tilts the motors. (Could this be to do with the aircraft Being stationary and therefore not reaching the necessary speed to actuate the motors??)

I am using a Pixhawk 4 flight controller with a GPS module attached. My controller is a Flysky FS-i6 with a matching FS-ia6B receiver outputting a ppm signal to the flight controller.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and as I mentioned before if anybody needs any more information I’ll do my best to provide it.

Thanks for all your help

While connected over USB, did you successfully arm over the transmitter or using APM Planner 2’s “arm” command? If it is the latter, check that your ARMING_RUDDER is set to 1 or 2 (see Arming Plane — Plane documentation).

Also make sure that your transmitter is calibrated (see Radio Control Calibration — Copter documentation), so that the autopilot knows the correct range of your rudder stick and thus determine what PWM it will arm/disarm at.

I believe the param you are looking for is Q_M_SPIN_ARM. Decreasing it should allow your motors to idle at a lower PWM upon arming.

Unfortunately, I do not have experience working on tilt-rotors (only on normal quadplanes) thus I cannot answer your third question.

While there is a boat load of params related to vtol plane, you will sort them in time.
I think your best bet is to download a set of params from the Nimbus vtol thread and compare it with yours. This will get you going sooner.
You can actuate the tilt servos if you change the flight modes, in plane modes it should point straight forward, in vtol modes it should be pointing up. This works even if the plane is not armed. But the safety switch should be pressed I think.
Also, like Lau said before me, you can’t arm if you are inside and don’t have GPS lock. You can change this for testing but remember to set it to it’s default when you get to testing outside.
Good luck!