VTOL Autotune issue on Arduplane V4.5.1

Hello, I am using a Y3 tilt VTOL setup with the Matek F405 VTOL and Arduplane V4.5.1. I have successfully completed the fixed-wing autotune.

But I’m encountering an issue with Q_AUTOTUNE.

It appears that there are no parameters by that name in the parameters list. Is this a new feature in the latest version of Arduplane, or is there an alternative way to complete VTOL autotuning? Please guide me if I am doing anything wrong.

Thank you.
Mode 22 error

Hello, I have never tried using scripting, and I’ve always relied on Q_AUTOTUNE mode on previous firmware. Currently, I’m attempting to use the default Q_AUTOTUNE mode. However, in the recent firmware version, it seems that the necessary parameters are not available.

Is there an alternative method for performing autotuning? Your guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time!

The Q_Autotune mode should actually be selectable. The Q parameters are certainly available, there should be 3 Q-Autotune parameters there.

VTOLs are implied on the 405 FCs, so Q_Autotune should also be available. This does not require LUA scripting. Q_Autotune is not to be confused with the Quicktune LUA script.

Rolf

1 Like

My bad Q_AUTOTUNE is not quick tune. You only need scripting for the quick tune.

Sorry for my confusion

1 Like

I have previously used Q_AUTOTUNE in older firmware versions. However, after updating to the new firmware, I noticed that there are no parameters associated with the name Q_AUTOTUNE . But the mode is still available in the Flight mode tab .When switching from Q_LOITER to Q_AUTOTUNE , it displays a ‘No such mode 22’ message, as shown in the picture.

Thank you for your time.

You are absolutely right. However, after updating the firmware, I noticed that the Q_AUTOTUNE options are no longer available in the parameters list. Have any alternative methods been introduced for VTOL autotuning? I couldn’t find any information regarding this change. Your insights would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time!

Do you have a log file with the error? Then we could have a look there. Q_Autotune should actually be possible.

Maybe this will help from the Wiki:
" Set QAUTOTUNE mode (mode 22) on one of your mode switch positions. It may not show up as an available mode in your GCS, so you may need to set the FLTMODEn parameter in the full parameter list"
https://ardupilot.org/plane/docs/qautotune-mode.html#qautotune

1 Like

Here is the .tlog and .bin log file.

Thank you for your time.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1WhljApEb_RsDk0WbSNjYWz4YW709Gev4?usp=sharing

I have played through this on a speedybee f405 wing. I activated Q_Enable in an old 4.3 firmware and then changed to 4.5.1: Q_Autotune including parameters is available. I would do a full erase of the flight controller and reload the current firmware. To be on the safe side, save the current parameters so that you can restore them later.

Rolf

1 Like

Thank you for your time Mr @Rolf .

I downgraded the firmware to 4.4 and it’s working with all the Q_auto-tune parameters. Did you directly update from 4.3 to 4.5.1?

Now I’m afraid whether it will work after upgrading to 4.5.1.

Yes, directly. But I can’t swear whether it was a 4.3 stable or beta. Sorry, I hadn’t noted it down because the FC was lying unused in the workshop drawer.

Rolf

1 Like

Thank you very much for your effort.

Till the completion of the autotune, I’ll stick with version 4.4.