Vtail mixing gives abnormally small surface movement in FBWA

Config: talon, Vtail mixing activated, pixhawk, last APM plane version, Taranis radio, all parameters to default values

I tried on the bench to move my elevator channel in FBWA mode: I practically do not get any significant movement of the ruddervator surfaces when moving the elevator stick.However In the same mode, I get a good movement response of the ruddervators when moving the rudder stick.
In comparison, When doing the same test in manual mode i get good movement response from all sticks.
So what’s wrong with the elevator stick/response in FBWA mode ?

[quote=“Hugues”]Config: talon, Vtail mixing activated, pixhawk, last APM plane version, Taranis radio, all parameters to default values

I tried on the bench to move my elevator channel in FBWA mode: I practically do not get any significant movement of the ruddervator surfaces when moving the elevator stick.However In the same mode, I get a good movement response of the ruddervators when moving the rudder stick.
In comparison, When doing the same test in manual mode i get good movement response from all sticks.
So what’s wrong with the elevator stick/response in FBWA mode ?[/quote]

Increase your Pitch P.

Thx. I tried and it improved a bit, however not solving totally the movement lack of authority, even increasing the 0,4 P default value to 1!
I then tried to modify my hardware linkages so that the control rod would be at a 90 degrees and that seemed to correct everything: good movement authority for all sticks and symmetrical up and down.

How does it fly in manual mode? If pitch was not sensitive enough, you could have just increased MIXER_GAIN. By default, it’s set to 0.5 which means it take full elevator and full rudder to get full deflection. Getting your mechanical range right is always the best first step though.

I’m having the exact same issue trying out the latest APM on a v-tail plane and I’ve also got a Talon going together as the final ship for it. I’m seeing some really bad elevator behavior in FBWA and almost as bad in Stabilize. Rudder, aileron are good. I have a TON of elevator throw in Manual, switch to FBWA and hardly any AND there seems to be dead zones at the end of the stick travel in each direction. I upped the MIXING_GAIN and that seems to have helped. Have done no flying yet and thus no PID tuning yet, tried .1 to 2.0 on the pitch P and that doesn’t seem to make much difference. I’m wondering if there is something odd going on with scaling in the assisted/automatic flight modes and the v-tail mixer. Anyone with any expertise???

1 Like

It’s looks like Stall Prevention working !

see here plane.ardupilot.com/wiki/flight- … revention/