Using rudder for a flying wing

Is it possible to use a rudder while having setup a flying wing?
Most flying wings do not have a steerable rudder, but in my case, I do like to use the rudder as well.
Flightpath-corrections are best flown with small rudder corrections, and not by banking the plane by ailerons.
Is it possible to set it up like this with APM Plane 3.3?

Best wishes,
Severin

[attachment=0]IMG_0035-671.jpg[/attachment]

I suppose it is not done with just set KFF_RDDRMIX to a value such as 0.5

Yes, this should work fine. I have not personally tested this, but I fly a conventional plane with rudder and when you configure the elevons for your delta wing plane I would expect the rudder to still work OK.

It will work, but not as effectively as on a conventional aircraft as the rudder is acting as a shorter lever. Its hardly worth the complication and drag.

I used a rudder on a flying wing before. It was a twin engine tractor style flying wing and the dual stabilizers had rudders behind it so it worked decent, however, I agree with the other posters. Not worth the extra drag. Theres no tail for you to have to line up in turns.

To correct the heading during level flight, it is not neccessary to bank (roll) a plane, it could be done with rudder only (even on a flying wing) for smal corrections of some degrees heading (smaller 15°). So it would make the flight more smooth in cam-view. When I do fly completely manually I fly like this.
How does the controller handle rudder? As far as I recognized, it simply adds rudder to the aileron-signal to the amount defined on KFF_RDDRMIX. That would not be the scenario I tought to use the rudder for…
Is there a solution for my idea?

Although on many flying wings a rudder just adds drag and complexity, on the case of planks and weasel-like flying wings I have found a rudder to be extremely useful, not just for smooth flying and axial rolls, but for reducing drag in turns, as these wings tend to have a lot of adverse yaw. Using a steerable rudder is much better than just a fin, as it can do the same job with much less wetted area and drag than a a fin, which would have to be much bigger to be as effective. In my case, I use KFF_RDDRMIX on APM, and works just fine for my big flying wing (2.2m span, 5kg), twin motor tractor, single steerable rudder.

Best regards

Eric

Thank you for sharing Eric,
This was my experience on flying WITHOUT the flight contorller as well.