Using Pixhawk1 for Rocket Flight Data Acquisition

Hello,

I am a student working on a design project. My job is to build a data acquisition system for a hybrid rocket engine. I want to be able to save data onto the local SD and also transmit data to the ground station. I have a Pixhawk1 from a previous project iteration and I want to use it strictly for the sensors that are built into it. Here’s what I’d like to know:

1. What components outside of the Pixhawk do I absolutely need to achieve this goal? (I know I’ll need a transmitter, but what kind?)
  2. What flight planning/hardware program do I need for my goal, and how should I go about choosing my firmware?
  3. What are some tips that you can give me, if you are experienced in using this equipment?

Thank you so much,
Will

1[quote=“willhebert1103, post:1, topic:99075, full:true”]
Hello,

I am a student working on a design project. My job is to build a data acquisition system for a hybrid rocket engine. I want to be able to save data onto the local SD and also transmit data to the ground station. I have a Pixhawk1 from a previous project iteration and I want to use it strictly for the sensors that are built into it. Here’s what I’d like to know:

1. What components outside of the Pixhawk do I absolutely need to achieve this goal? (I know I’ll need a transmitter, but what kind?)
  2. What flight planning/hardware program do I need for my goal, and how should I go about choosing my firmware?
  3. What are some tips that you can give me, if you are experienced in using this equipment?

Thank you so much,
Will
[/quote]

1. Depends on what data you want but appropriate 5V power supply with battery will definitely be needed.
    GNSS receiver may or may not work depending on your flight envelope.
  2. Any relatively up to date AP firmware should do, preferably copter or plane. Just enable logging while disarmed. Mission Planner is probably the best choice here.
  3. Make sure everything is plugged in correctly and securely.