Using our own vertical data for mission planning?

Hi, I succeded loading a GeoTiff DTM in WGS84 produced with Global Mapper, OK!
I had tried before with the same GeoTiff done with ArcGIS: MP saw it but elevation was always at 0: any issue or tips for why? Thanks

I suspect the GEOTIFF doesn’t contain the elevation data. Send me a link to the geotiff and I’ll take a look.

David Here you may find both: The ArcGIS (AGIS10) and the Global Mapper one (GM12). The ArcGIS one has Z info. Thanks for your interest. Alberto

Looks like both of the attachments have elevation data. Not sure why you are not seeing the elevation data.

Perhaps this thread will help Custom Imagery in Mission Planner

I began reading on this topics just from the discussion you pointed: I’ll read again and try to read the console messages. Did you try my files in MP? Thanks again,
Alberto

I didn’t load your info in mission planner just global mapper. Please send me a good decimal degree lat and long coordinate for the center of the area and I’ll load it into MP.

Here they are: 42.276531 14.026902 DD

Got it!

I can see it in MP. My guess is you are placing the flie in the wrong location. Here is the path to my srtm folder. I lives in the programdata folder; C:\ProgramData\Mission Planner\srtm. Drop your file in there and you should be good to go.

Dave

Did this work for you?

Hi David, of course I had put in the right directory: the ArcGIG was loaded but show 0 quotes in its bounding box, while the Global Mapper shows right coordinates: this is the problem!
May be it is a decimal separator (. or ,) issue? I have an Italian OS (which should use comma as saparator) on which I set dot as separator…

Ok, it’s an easy mistake to make as there are two SRTM folders; one in the mission planner folder where mission planner is installed and the other in programdata\mission planner\srtm.

The reason, I am reiteratating this is because I see the elevation data from global mapper in mission planner, which confirms the file is properly load and formatted. So you should see it too, unless its in the wrong folder.

Hi David, excuse delay: I also see properly elevation using the DTM file from GlobalMapper. The problem is with the ArcGIS one: I see it, but elevation is 0m! Both the files I gave you cames from the same data, but one is exported with ArcGIS and the other with Global Mapper 12…

I guess I misunderstod, I thought the goal was to use elevation data in mission planner

In changing ability to see hidden folders & files,
I now see the folder C:\ProgramData\Mission Planner\srtm
All good.

I want to only use my custom GeoTIFF elevation data not SRTM. I have MP displaying the correct data but when I go to fly a terrain-following auto mission in SITL, the UAV mixes together the SRTM elevation data and the data from the GeoTIFF. I set the Geotiff to be a constant 269 meters but in-flight I see the Terrain GL in MP going between 269 meters and other values like 231… meters etc… from SRTM. Sometimes MP says: “No or bad terrain data”. I even deleted all the terrain data in SITL and in MP and turned off the internet leaving only my Geotiff data. SITL still somehow got ahold of SRTM data and mixed it into my data during the flight. HOW?

Edit: also as far as I am aware Mavpoxy does not have a SRTM data repository that I also have to delete.

remove all files except your geotiff from
C:\ProgramData\Mission Planner\srtm
delete all the srtm data from sitl (terrain directory)
disconnect from the internet
start MP
connect to sitl, using the down download option, or your custom version,

should work

1 Like