Using only GPS2

Greetings,

We have in our possession a GPS Here with a GPS2 type pin connector (6 pins). We are trying to configure ardupilot parameters in order to use GPS2 only.

Our params are:

GPS_PRIMARY = 1
GPS_TYPE = 0
GPS_TYPE2 = 1
GPS_AUTO_SWITCH = 0
SERIAL4_PROTOCOL = 5

On mission planner HUD it displays both GPSs with a red color:
GPS: NO GPS
GPS2: 3D FIX

Is this normal? Can we completely remove GPS from main screen and only keep GPS2 since we don’t have dual GPS? Is the red color a concern?

EDIT: We use a Pixhawk Cube Black.

Many thanks.

1 Like

Have you tired setting it the other way by setting GPS_TYPE=1 and setting GPS_TYPE2=0. it doesn’t really matter what port it is hooked to as long as you have the correct serial port configured for GPS it will find it and you should be able just to config it to use gps_type and leave the other disabled. red color should be of no concern as long as you have it turned off and the other configured correctly

3 Likes

What is the correct serial port settings, having the same issue

If anyone is still wondering,
SERIAL3_PROTOCOL = -1
SERIAL4_PROTOCOL = 5
GPS_TYPE = 1
GPS_TYPE2 = 0
GPS_AUTO_SWITCH = 0 or 1
GPS_PRIMARY = 0

EDIT: Corrected my typo

Not quite. You should set GPS_TYPE2 to 0 if you only have one GPS connected.

The real issue that most folks run into when connecting a single GPS to the port labeled “GPS2” is that a lower numbered serial port is often defaulted to protocol 5 (GPS).

So, for example, it isn’t enough just to set SERIAL4_PROTOCOL=5. You must also set SERIAL3_PROTOCOL to something other than GPS (-1, usually, to disable it).

And if we want to be perfectly clear, manufacturers do you a disservice by labeling any serial port with a GPS label. It’s just a serial port as far as ArduPilot is concerned. If you only connect one GPS, even if it’s wired to the port labeled “GPS2,” that GPS is GPS 1 (or instance 0, if you’re digging into the source code/Lua scripting).

2 Likes

And if we want to be perfectly clear, manufacturers do you a disservice by labeling any serial port with a GPS label. It’s just a serial port as far as ArduPilot is concerned.

I mostly agree with you, there is conflicting nomenclature between hardware and firmware. But there is a hardware difference between Telem and GPS ports: the CTS and RTS pins on the Telem ports and the I2C pins on the GPS ports (for the GPS’s compass). So I kinda understand the difficulty in naming the hardware ports. Naming a port “Ser3+I2C” looks a bit weird, even if it is correct.

I think they should be labeled UARTx and UARTx+I2C.

Let me decide how to use them.

At a minimum, don’t label one as “GPS2.”

1 Like

Hello. I’m brand new to all this but are you setting these params in QGroundControl->Vehicle Setup->Parameters? I don’t see these parameters listed?

@knighthawk I’m not familiar with QGC, but I think there is an “Advanced” tab in the parameter page, which enables editing advanced parameters. With Mission Planner instead of QGC, all the parameters are available straight away.

Otherwise, be sure you have installed Ardupilot, not PX4, as the firmware on your flight controller. QGC was made primarily for PX4, but works with Ardupilot. Mission Planner was made for Ardupilot.

1 Like