Using offline maps

Hi all,

The wiki contains a short description on using offline maps.
I followed it to the letter but no maps appear on my tablet.
I suspect it has something to do with the path to the maps.
The path mentioned in the wiki does not exist on my Samsung Galaxy 2 tablet.
Does anybody know what place the offline maps should be placed, if the app is very critical to this, or if you can change the path?

Best regards,

Jan Willem
The Netherlands

Here is the referred wiki page for future reference:
https://github.com/arthurbenemann/droidplanner/wiki/Offline-Maps

Try to open the storage of your device (probably just connect an USB cable to it), and there should be a DroidPlanner folder in there. Into DroidPlanner folder create a Maps folder, there is where you should paste the map tiles that you can get from Mission Planner.

The final path should look like: ./DroidPlanner/Maps/1/0/0.jpg . The app can only access tiles that follow the above style.

Don’t forget to select the use of offline maps into the settings.

Please report back here if you have problems, or if you are successful. If you care to update the wiki, I’m sure others would apreciate.

Arthur,

On my tablet there are already two folders in de Droidplanner folder: ./DroidPlanner/Waypoints/ and ./DroidPlanner/CameraInfo/.
I created the folder ./DroidPlanner/Maps and placed the 19 subfolders (all zoomlevels) with BingSatellite material in it.

The first one being: ./DroidPlanner/Maps/1/, the last one being ./DroidPlanner/Maps/19/. All folders contain subfolders with georeferenced map material.
In DroidPlanner I checked the use offline maps checkbox and I restarted the app.
Afterwards only a black background appears.
Just to be sure I emptied the app cache and repeated the above procedure.
Still only a black background appears.

Do you have other suggestions?

Best regards,

Jan Willem
The Netherlands

That looks right.

Could you try to do the same but this time using GoogleSatellite imagery?

What I’m suspecting is that the way I’m accessing the tiles only works for the Google Structure.

Hi Arthur,

Just tried ofline maps with pre-fetched GoogleSatellite images, but the problem stays, a total black background.
The data structure appears to be the same as the BingSatellite images. Same folder, subfolder and image naming.

Could it be in read/write/exec rights or something like that?

Best regards,

Jan Willem
The Netherlands

For a more deep inside of what is happening we need a LogCat output, you just need an usb cable and eclipse installed in your pc:
http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html

Then we will be able to know what is happening.

Hi Arthur,

I installed the Android SDK and and the JRE.
How to proceed further?
I’ve got no programming experience!
How do I LogCat?

Best regards,

Jan Willem
The Netherlands

Here is the best guide on how to test/debug the code:
http://developer.android.com/tools/device.html

Basically what you need is to:

• Enable USB debbuging in your device
  • Install the USB driver (depends on your OS)
  • Open Eclipse

The logcat window should pop-up in eclipse, or you can access it via:http://developer.android.com/tools/help/logcat.html

We need the full logcat from opening the app to where the problems happens.

Hi Arthur,

I don’t know if you changed anything in the last build, but after updating DroidPlanner the offline maps appear on my tablet. On my side I didn’t change anything that I’m aware of.
Anyway, using offline maps the as described in the WIKI works for me.

Best regards,

Jan Willem

Offline maps including custom tiles works ok for me too. However is it possible to add automatically .nomedia file to Maps folder when it is automatically greated? It’s rather annoying to have few hundreds new folders and many thousands new pictures of maptiles in Android gallery :wink: Thats happend to me and had to google how to clear gallery index and avoid them coming back.

Regards Jani

@Jan
I’m glad that it’s working for you know. Maybe you just had an older version of the app that had a bug.

@JaniL
Could you send me a copy of that .nomedia file?

And maybe add an issue to github, so I don’t forget about the problem?
github.com/arthurbenemann/droidplanner/issues

[quote=“arthur”]
@JaniL
Could you send me a copy of that .nomedia file?

And maybe add an issue to github, so I don’t forget about the problem?
github.com/arthurbenemann/droidplanner/issues[/quote]

.nomedia file is just blank/empty file without file type. This file is one way to stop Android Media scanner found and index media files like images to gallery. I actually put copy of it to main Droidplanner folder [not Maps], cleared index, boot + rescan and it worked, no more map tile images from Map folder. I’m using Samsung I9070 with JellyBean 4.1.2

Yes no problem i can add issue.

ps. Can’t add empty file attachments, forum software gives error. So Zip added :slight_smile:

Regards Jani

Just to close this topic:

This issue has been closed, you can find more here:
github.com/arthurbenemann/droid … it-4cc7160