Using "Distance Sensor" message to emulate range finders, upwards "lidar" does not seem to be working

Hi everyone,

We use drones with high-grade Lidars for inspection purposes, and are currently starting on using the Lidar for guidance and obstacle avoidance as well. I’m basically using Guided Mode and sending positional velocities (and yaw rate) commands via Mavlink and a companion computer. Now I am also using information from the lidar to generate DISTANCE_SENSOR messages and feed them to the autopilot.

From the currently supported orientations, I can only generate data for the left, right, upwards and downwards directions (IDs 2, 6, 24 and 25). I have tested in SITL that left/right is being correctly received and processed (it shows up on MP’s radar screen and drone stop before hitting obstacles in that direction), as well as downward (apparently not being used for collision avoidance, but the drone uses it when landing).
What I can’t seem to get working is the upwards direction. According to this the drones should also stop before hitting an obstacle above it, but that is not happening (again, using Guided mode with velocity inputs).

Any ideas on why this is happening?

Thanks in advance

Hi all,

The same problem for me with rangefinder LeddarOne. Works perfect with downwards position but as soon as I change RNGFND_ORIENT to upwards (24) the sensor frozen up and stop working.

The next link explain how to do this but there is something wrong there. I would like someone to gives any clue. Thanks in advance.

http://ardupilot.org/copter/docs/common-rangefinder-objectavoidance.html#common-rangefinder-objectavoidance