Using a Tmotor F55 mini as a battery monitor

Hello all,

I am trying to use that ESC that is a BlHeli32 with a cube black and I want to eliminate the power brick. I saw in the documentation that it can be done setting the batt monitor parameter to 9 so the FC gets the data from the BlHeli32 Telemetry. It works, but I am getting a little bit of trouble with the current sensor. It senses a really small current, I tried to change the amps per volt to correct it but ardupilot does not give me the option.

I was reading as well that some ESC do not report the Current and I would have to physically connect the current wire from the ESC into one of the pins of the Power connectors of the cube. In that case, could I get the voltage from the telemetry since it works perfectly and the current from the ESC via a wire?

Thank you in advance.

Yes

More words, more words

Like most 4in1 ESC’s that will not provide current via ESC telemetry as there is only one current shunt resistor for total current with the signal available on the “Current” pin of the connector.

OK got it.

So should I keep [BATT_MONITOR]=9 to keep the voltage from the ESC and then BATT_CURR_PIN I am not really sure which one to choose, if I am using a cube orang it is clear but if I am using a Cube black… I guess this one? 14 Pixhawk2_PM2.

Thank you in advance.

I am still fighting with this, but I was not successful yet. I found another thread of someone with exactly the same problem but no solution was posted. Maybe I can find a solution. Let see if you could help me a bit please.

I connected the ESC current cable to the current pin on PM1 port. I am using a Cube black.

Then I set battery monitor to Sum Of Selected Monitors.

Then BATT_SUM_MASK to 6, what is a sum of monitor 1 and monitor 2.

Monitor 1 I selected analog voltage and current, BATT_VOLT_PIN disactivated, BATT_CURR_PIN=3 (Pixhawk2_PM1) , Sensor:“Other”

Monitor 2
BATT_MONITOR: 9 (ESC)

But the effects are the same than when I had only Monitor 1 configured as ESC. The voltage is correct, an the current, I am getting the same small mah count that at the beginning far away form the real count. (Around 1000 when the real could should be 9000).

I think (could be wrong) that the calibration of this is a function of the ESC not the FC. On my regular T55’s I have:

BATT_AMP_OFFSET,-0.04308
BATT_AMP_PERVLT,52.706
BATT_VOLT_MULT,11

Are yours anywhere close to this? Could be different because its a mini, but even so

Hello, thanks for the answer.

Yes I have similar values. My problem is that I am trying to input battery monitoring data from 2 sources, one the ESC telemetry and another, the ESC current sensor. I think I did not manage yet to make the cube read the analog current sensor signal.

I think the physical connection is fine.

I connected the ESC current cable to the current pin on PM1 port. I am using a Cube black.

Then I set battery monitor to Sum Of Selected Monitors.

Then BATT_SUM_MASK to 6, what is a sum of monitor 1 and monitor 2.

Monitor 1 I selected analog voltage and current, BATT_VOLT_PIN disactivated, BATT_CURR_PIN=3 (Pixhawk2_PM1) , Sensor:“Other”

Monitor 2
BATT_MONITOR: 9 (ESC)

Hello, I have enabled the battery monitor 3 for esc, and the battery monitor 2, analog voltage and current, however despite of setting the Analog voltage pin to -1 to disable it, I still get false readings of 0,56v.

I have set the battery monitor 1 to be the sum of 2 and 3. My quad now broadcast the correct voltage, but no current is reported. If I go to battery monitor 2, I can see the correct current reported, but looks like the sum of monitors is not working properly because is not adding the current from monitor 2.

Any help please?

Thanks

Configure Battery Monitor 1 for Analog Voltage and Current. You will only have sum current. Configure Battery Monitor 2 for ESC and use it for Voltage. It will be the average of the ESC voltage values.

Thanks for the answer.

I just did it. Since you did not specify how I should configure batt monitor 3 I tried all the combinations:

Disabled, Sum of Selected monitors with BATT3_SUM_MASK=0 and BATT3_SUM_MASK sum of 1 and 2.

I get the Current to work fine but not he voltage. The voltage is stuck at 0.67V regardless of BATT_VOLT_PIN = -1 or BATT_VOLT_PIN=2 (PW1 cube black). If I go to the batt monitor 2 tab I an see the right voltage.

I don’t see why you need Batt Monitor 3 that’s why I made no mention of it. Current from 1 and Voltage from 2. What’s the problem with that? I use this same configure on more than one quad. ESC current pin to FC current input on Batt 1 and ESC telemetry for voltage on Batt 2.

I am trying to get on the Mission Planner HUD both lectures of Current and Voltage, also as I use Herelink, I want to see on QG control the 100% of remaining battery and the Voltage (for security just in case a battery is old).

My problem is, is that doing as you said I cannot get the voltage on the HUD nor QGroundcontrol in herelink. And If I set the monitor 1 to ESC then I get the voltage but not the current.

That is why I am trying to set a monitor to Sum of Selected monitors, in order to merge both voltage and current together on the HUD and qgrouncontrol on Herelink.

Can I change the source of the HUD and the battery tab on Herelink? maybe I have to change ot manually and I did not. Or maybe my cube is faulty.

repeated, delete please.

Obvious question - you are using Mavlink2 on your USB connection aren’t you?

yes, both

SERIAL0_=2
SERIAL1_=2

For telemetry and USB.

Thanks again to both of you for helping.

I don’t know anything about Herelink but if you select Current1 and Battery2 (User Items) using the scheme I posted you get Current and Voltage in the HUD of Mission planner.

You are right, I just tried and that worked. Maybe I did not explained myself correctly.

In the HUD by default in the left bottom part you have a battery indicator that tells you voltage, current and %. Never Had a problem with it when using the power module.

This time I thought I can remove the power module to save hardware. I am trying to get both my battery voltage and current together in this bat item (not the user Items). So I can get HERELINK to broadcast both my voltage and remaining % as I was doing before.

I don’t know. They are on by default when you configure a Battery Monitor, you can turn it off and only see user items. No idea what to do for Herelink.

Thanks a lot for the help. I think I will make a thread in the Cubepilot site since they are the Herelink Guys.

Since many 4 in 1 ESCs are not reporting the current in the telemetry, It would be really cool if for new Ardupilot releases, you could enable an analog current sensor pin option when setting BATT_MONITOR: 9 (ESC). I think that would be a great improvement and will avoid a lot of headaches. I have seen more people here with the same problem.
Is there any way I could make that suggestion to the Ardupilot developers?