Use Pixracer and GPS as a stand alone position measurement device

I fly RC planes at a flying field that is surrounded by trees and other unforgiving terrain. I fly over the open area of the field most of the time, but know that I must fly past the tree line during certain maneuvers and during longer landing approaches.

I want to use the FC/GPS as a stand-alone device to record the GPS position, but not to control the plane in any way. I would temporarily install the FC/GPS in the cabin of my regular RC plane for the GPS recording flight test.

Is there a simple way to set up the Pixracer and GPS to record the position during the flight? I do not need to convey telemetry remotely in real time to a ground station.

Can the FC be configured to just “turn on” GPS recording when powered up?

After the flight I would download the logs from the FC and review the GPS data on Mission Planner.

Thanks,

Paul

That’s easy. You only have to set LOG_DISARMED to 1, then logging starts after connecting to a battery. Setting GPS_GNSS_MODE to 71 may be useful to have more sats.

Thank Joerg,

I tried it and it works, but I realized that it only logs the dataflash logs, and not the telemetry logs. Makes sense since it is not conveying telemetry.

I want the telemetry GPS data so I can see the airplane’s position on the Mission Planner map.

Thanks again,

Paul

Try viewing the dataflash log with “UAV LogViewer”.
It will show you the flight path in 3D and it has many other useful capabilities:
https://ardupilot.org/planner/docs/common-uavlogviewer.html?highlight=log+viewer

Thank you Mark, Paul