Use of Mavlink and Flight Deck at the same time

Hello everybody,

I use Mavlink and Flight Deck at the same time.
Mavlink is connected to Telementrieport 1, Flight Deck with Taranis S.Bus at Telemetrieport 2.
So far everything runs perfectly, but I have the feeling that the values are delayed to the Flight Deck displayed when the telemetry Prot 1 (Mavlink) is active.

Can I use the two serial ports at the same time?
The protocols - Mavlink and FrSky S.Bus are different.

Maybe someone already has experience with such a configuration?

Best regards,
Markus

Hi Markus,

Yes. I typically use one for FrSky and the other for Mavlink. I have been using LuaPilot which I made some changes for plane and quadplane, unofficially calling it LuaPlane. However, I have been planning to upgrade my Taranis firmware and try FlightDeck so I am curious on how you like it?

Cheers!

Hi Greg,

At first I also thought about installing the LuaPilot, but since I am a little bit comfortable and liked the images of the Flight Deck better, I decided to use the Flight Deck.

Running Mavlink and FlightDeck in parallel there is a delay of a few seconds in the representation of the values on the FlightDeck relative to the Mavlink data. It is not critical I just wanted to be sure that the Pixhawk does not hang up. That would be critical :slight_smile:

If the weather in Germany is a bit more joyful it is to try it out.
By now the GoDiscover got wings and it was time for the first flight.

Cheers,
Markus

We’ve had similar crappy weather here with a temperature of -2F (-19C) and wind chill around -20F (-29C). I feel like I’m living in Alaska!

As stated in the Wiki:

Due to CPU or bandwidth limitations, the actual rate of the data sent may be lower than the rate requested.

Below are the telemetry settings I used on my Antenna Tracker which has multiple Mavlink streams between the tracker, aircraft, and GCS. You can try using them to see if it makes a difference. Also, if there isn’t any recommendation for serial port settings in the Craft&Theory documentation, e-mail them about your observation.

Hi Greg,

Regarding the weather, you won in NY. But you are closer to Alaska :slight_smile:

For the RC and telemetry I use the TBS Crossfire, since I already have transmitters and receivers from my copters. The range is exceptional and the transmitter fits in the external slot of the Taranis. So I have everything in one device including Blutooth.

There is not much to adjust at Crossfire and Craft & Theory. The baud rates and parameters of the serial interfaces balance themselves.

So far everything works - only sometimes felt a bit slow.

Cheers,
Markus

I found the reason for delaying the Flight Deck display.
It was on the SD card of the Pixhawk.
When a VTOL is in the QHover, so much data is written that a normal SD card does not come along and thus slows down the processor. The Mavlink has a higher priority and it does not stand out with him.
I turned off the log for testing and everything is running syncron clean.
A new Micro SDHC with 98 MB / s (Class 10) is ordered. This should solve the problem.

Cheers, Markus

Are you suggesting that it’s ok to use TBS crossfire for both Mavlink and FlightDeck? That would be awesome.

I am not sure if this will work.
The Mavlink Protokoll is switched to a serial port.
The FlightDeck need the SPort porotokol from FrSky.
At current UI use onyl the FrSky Protokoll with the very nice app from Alex.

Its awesome.
Cheers Markus