Unlimit range rc car

HI everyone I want to mount raspberry pi on my rc car to control it unlimited range but i don’t know how to start.
I have buy some hardware ready to start this project.
rc car
raspberry pi 3B+
waveshare SIM7600G-H
ardupilot apm2.8
some usb cables
But I still not very clear what software I need, I know pc need to download mission planner but I don’t know which software I need to install in my raspberry pi.

https://cloud.ardupilot.org/de-what-is.html

1 Like

Please do not buy an APM2.8, it is really old and unsupported. At least get a Pixhawk 2.4.8.
Here is a list of supported autopilots:

https://ardupilot.org/copter/docs/common-autopilots.html

1 Like

I use Rpanion-server on all my rovers. I find it very easy to setup. It allows you to configure any network interface/connection that is available. It supports telemetry/control and video transmission. I use the mobile internet connection of my phone to connect all my rovers to the internet while out in the field. You could just as well connect an LTE stick to the RPi instead. I installed Tailscale on my PC, Laptop, Phone and Tablet. My son was able to drive the rover around from home (a few km from the rover) using a joystick connected to my PC. I would not fly a racing drone over this connection, but a regular drone or a slow rover is no problem.
Tailscale is a VPN network software that puts all devices you install it on in a virtual network. You just use the assigned Tailscale IP for the connection instead of the local network IP.

1 Like

Thanks for your answers. But I still have some questions want to ask you.
Can I still using lte hat for 4g Wi-Fi connection or i should buy usb sim adapter.
Are there any cheaper options than pixhawk.

It does seem, it is not the best time to enter the hobby. I paid 40€ for my naked Pixhawk 2.4.8 a few years ago and now the only offer I can find on amazon is 150€ with a power module, but no GPS. Have a look at the hardware list and see what flightcontroller is available in your country. Anything on that list is better than an APM 2.8.
I can get Mateksys H743-x FCs for 100-130€ here for example.

1 Like

Regarding the LTE hat, if it presents itself as a network device managed by network manager, it should work with rpanion-server and tailscale. That is only guesswork, though, I never used something like it.

1 Like

If I use usb cable to connect fc and rpi3 can I still plug in power module on fc I want to know current and voltage.

The power module has its own port on the APM 2.8. I would not use the USB connection while operating the vehicle. The USB port on the FC is not made for mechanical stress. It might get damaged. It also might disconnect from vibrations.

1 Like

So use uart to replace usb cable.

If I want to download rpanion server which version should I download.

The latest version, 0.9.
And yes, use UART to connect the FC and RPi.

1 Like

Does Rpanion server have desktop I want to set my 4g hat.

No it has no desktop. It has a webinterface or terminal prompt.

1 Like

How to access to rpanion terminal

Either connect a monitor and keyboard or through a ssh session.

1 Like

How to connect rpanion use ssh does GUI have options to do this

You initiate a ssh session from another computer or your phone. Depending on the operating system, there are different apps you can use: Putty or Bitwise for Windows, directly from a terminal in Linux (ssh username@IPofRPi), Connectbot or a multitude of other apps on android. Can not say anything about Apple products, for a lot of reasons, but I will not voice them here.

1 Like