Unhealthy GPS because no compass and no SDCard?

Anyone had GPS unhealthy errors preventing arming that weren’t obvious? I’m running an orange cube using a Holybro Unicore gnss. Not using a compass and there was no way getting around it, even with all prechecks turned off. 28 sats and an hdop of .6. I also got smart rtl disabled bad position error. So I enabled logging without arming and headed home to look at the logs. Ok, forgot to put the sd card in so no logs. Here’s where it gets weird. With the card back in the cube, everything works. Can a missing sd card do that?

You need the SDCard and you need a compass.

I need the compass? I was hoping to do away with it using a moving baseline gnss for yaw. This boat spends most of its time scanning sonar in mine tailings ponds. There’s tons of ferro magnetic material that causes all kinds of problems like sticking to the thruster rotors and causing compass variance issues.

If you have “GNSS for YAW” then you do not need compass. But you did not explain that before did you?

I think you’re suffering from a correlation vs causation error.

GPS modules can be “unhealthy” for a variety of reasons. Sat count is not one of them (unless it’s zero). HDOP plays a large role but is not the only factor. Without a log, we can’t get to the root cause.

At any rate, lack of logging shouldn’t matter, so I think that’s just coincidence.

I forgot to mention the Holybro Unicore is a moving baseline unit. So as Yuri pointed out, the missing card would be a coincidence and not the cause. We’ll, back to the lake for more testing with logs at least.