Understanding Q_Options

I have started building a mini talon VTOL which I am trying to configure. I find it difficult to understand the Q_Options bitmask and how each bit changes the behavior of the drone. In particular bit 1,2 and 4.

• |0| LevelTransition|
  • |1| AllowFWTakeoff|
  • |2| AllowFWLand|
  • |3| Respect takeoff frame types|
  • |4| Use a fixed wing approach for VTOL landings|
  • |5| Use QRTL instead of QLAND for failsafe when in VTOL modes|
  • |6| Use idle governor in MANUAL|

It would be a great help if someone can kindly explain how bit 1,2, and 4 works.
Thank you in advance :smiley:

I’ve never used 4, but I do know 1 and 2. They have to do with AUTO mode mission items.

When mission planning, you have two options for takeoff and landing commands. The “normal” fixed wing commands that are just “Takeoff” and “Landing,” and the VTOL versions that are “VTOLTakeoff” and “VTOLLanding.”
If those two bits are not set, then either version can be used and the aircraft will takeoff and land vertically, as a VTOL. But if they are set, using the general “Takeoff” and “Landing” commands will result in the aircraft behaving as a Non-VTOL fixed wing would.

In short, if you want to keep the ability to handlaunch and belly land the aircraft in AUTO, set those bits. If you don’t want to do that, then there’s no need.

1 Like