Understanding motor numbering

re-factor the outputs???

OK, this is how it should work. I have selected the default frame type, X
the motors are numbered…

3 ^ 1 ( ^ = forward direction.)

2 4

Somehow, when I push my right stick forward (pitch down) then motors 2 and 4 should spin.

So we have

Function motors

Roll 32/14
Pitch 24/13
Throttle 1234
Yaw 12/34

and there must be a mapping between 1,2,3,4 and A,B,C, D???

Sorry, I have to conclude that I cannot help you further.
Good luck with your build.

Don’t over think this.

What servo or output port is the motor in the front right position connected to? Set that port to 33. So if that is servo 2 then SERVO2_FUNCTION,33.

What servo or output port is the motor in the back right position connected to? Set that port to 36. So if that is servo 1 then SERVO1_FUNCTION,36

What servo or output is the motor in the back left postion… SERVOx_FUNCTION,34

What servo or output is the motor in the front left position … SERVOx_FUNCTION,35

No, you don’t need to resolder or rewire anything. You do not need to remap any parameter beginning with “RC.”

First, get the motor test to work within Mission Planner. If this isn’t working, you have bigger problems to solve than deciphering the numbering.

You must have your ESC wired correctly with the signal wires connected to servo output pins. Assign those pins the functions Motor1 through Motor4.

You must have the outputs configured to provide proper signal (DSHOT or PWM, usually).

You must have the ESC powered and any hardware safety button either depressed or disabled in parameters.

And then the motors should spin when executing the motor test.

After that, you simply change the SERVOx_FUNCTION parameters to the correct Motor1-Motor4 outputs based on test results (or follow Allister’s advice above to get it right the first time).

Allister,Yuri This is what I am looking for. I did wire my FC to esc connections 1 to1, 2 to 2, etc.
I will get the motor test to run, I hope, and then do thes settings as you both say. Thanks But I will probably have futher questions.

Not sure what I just said that wasn’t explained here, which I think is the topic to which you referred initially:

Demystifying Multirotor Motor Numbering - ArduCopter - ArduPilot Discourse

Oh, where in the documention is this info documented???

ESCs and Motors — Copter documentation (ardupilot.org)

Connect ESCs and Motors — Copter documentation (ardupilot.org)

https://ardupilot.org/copter/docs/connect-escs-and-motors.html

Hey, thanks I just made these changes and they WORK! However, the pitch is reversed. There must be a button to reverse the pitch channel.

That’s an annoying default. Reverse it on the radio calibration page.

I did not see where the numbers 33,34,35,and 36 appeared. Does this happen in the motor test?

Those are the discrete values assigned to the function parameters when you use the servo setup page. Don’t worry about it.

Actually, I spoke to soon. It seems that the pitch and roll are switched. Maybe I can correct this with the RCMAP options by switching 1 and 2

The default configuration is AETR, so if you’re using a different setup then you’ll have to adjust. No big deal. RCMAP is for that.

Mine is a quad copter so it would be RPTY. It is late, my brain is fried so I will continue manana. Thanks

RPTY / AETR, same same. Most of the brands that sell gear (even to quad and heli pilots) will still reference AETR. Likewise if you’re setting up radios in EdgeTX or OpenTX, they will reference the sticks as Aileron, Elevator, etc.

Allister, I thought I understood this but I guess I haven’t. I have attached a diagram showing what I have. Correct me where I am wrong…

I am using the X configuration. From this I assume that servo 1 controls the motor labeled 1 in the top right corner of the X diagram, likewise I assume that servo 2 controls the motor in the bottom left corner of the diagram, servo 3 controls the motor in the top left corner of the X diagram, and finally servo 4 controls the motor in the bottom right corner.

I connected my FC to my ESC pin to pin, i.e. 1 to 1, 2 20 2, V to V, G to G, etc. Therefore I assume that I now have M1, M2, M3, and M4 being controled by the ESC.

The right diagram shows my layout, i.e. where the motors are mounted on my frame. The motor numbers on my frame do not correspond to the same motor numbers on the X diagram.

From this, I would assume that servo 1 would control M2, servo 2 would control m1, servo 3 would controlm3, and servo 4 would control m4.

If this is the case then I would think I should have the servo 1 parameter set to 34, servo 2 parameter set to 33 , servo 3 parameter set to 35 , and servo 4 parameter set to 36 .

Is this correct? I really appreciate your help. I am gradually learning about all of this but still a learner at this time.

PS. I should add with this config and doing a motor test, Motor A is top right, Motor b is top left, mitor c is bottom right, and motor d is bottom left. Is this corect???

I think you want this, if I’m reading your wiring correctly (seems to match what you deduced):

SERVO1_FUNCTION: 34
SERVO2_FUNCTION: 33
SERVO3_FUNCTION: 35
SERVO4_FUNCTION: 36

On the autopilot itself, the S1-S4 labeled pins should correspond to the SERVO1-SERVO4 outputs, in order.

Graphically, like this:

Well, I thought my/your lineup would work but the stick movements do not match the motor rotations. In addition If I put the throttle at idle and do a pitch down, tip the front down, I woujld expect that motors 2 and 3 would respond. This is not the case. I et motors 2 and 1 for example. The same thing happens to my stick movements. I thought I coujld modify the RCMAP but hae not been able to fix everything as yet. Puzzling.

Also, when doing a motor test, does button A correspond to motor 1, button B correspond to motor 2, and etc. Does not seem to be the case. I am totally confused.