Unable to flash/update my new Cube Orange

It looks to me like there is no bootloader installed, which may require DFU mode to fix. I have never seen a Cube show up in the device manager the way yours does (without MAVLink and SLCAN labels).

I agree that disassembling the Cube is not a viable fix, and there is no other method of which I’m aware to enter DFU mode.

I also agree that QGroundControl is worth a try, but I would not expect different results in this case.

I think your best recourse is to contact the manufacturer for a properly flashed replacement.

AWWW MAN!! I so don’t want to learn another ground control software…I’m very comfy with Mission Planner…

You only have to learn how to flash Ardupilot. Once that’s done, assuming QGC does it, you can go back to MP.
Vehicle Setup>Firmware then plug in your board. Select Ardupilot/Chibios and the specific board and flash it.

Yuri, are these supposed to come flashed? When my flash finally took it was not the bootloader update it was with the normal arduplane firmware which implies that the bootloader was indeed already there.

I’m also thinking maybe one of those previous tries could have kicked the bootloader into some sort of brick me mode?? I really don’t know.

I will 100% keep that trick up my sleeve…I have another one of these for work that was giving me the same problems so I’ll try it there when everyone gets UN COVID’d up there.

They should come with a bootloader that is compatible with USB uploading of firmware. I don’t know all the gory details, but I’m almost certain that if no bootloader is present, you cannot flash without setting DFU mode first.

Did you achieve success?

So of course I fiddled some more with this. I’m not sure what else to try or document but just in case a dev sees this post I’ll document this.

It turns out my laptop (the computer that got it to flash after 5-6 tries) is running windows 11 and NOT windows 10.

Since my autopilot was successfully flashed I then took it back to my desktop and tried to change the firmware from cube orange dshot to the normal cube orange firmware (dshot was a mistake to load on my part).

The COM port that Mission Planner is reporting is now COM 7 and COM 8 both are labeled USB Serial
Device. I still can not flash with my desktop BUT I can connect to the autopilot via COM7 (have not tried COM 8) at either 57 or 115 speeds.

I’m certain now that this has to do with code within Mission Planner, specifically how it interacts with the “updated” UAV Drivers. I say that because Windows 11 begrudgingly worked, the COM ports are all over the place (in my case) and the consistent error messages I am getting (which I don’t understand because I don’t code).

Regardless, since I know this stuff has gone from hard to do to hard to improve I am grateful that these things are available to us in the civilian world. I do get frustrated with them and even heartbroken but I do manage to keep reengaging. Cheers.

FWIW, I am successfully running Mission Planner (latest beta) on Win11 with zero problems. I have flashed Cubes with countless firmware since the Win11 install without issue.

It was a complete fresh install of Win11 and fresh install of MP. I did nothing special with the drivers.

1 Like

Had a similar connection problem. Somehow shocking how nasty it is to get the cube orange connected to mission planner. You would hope it to be plug and play! Here is our issue:

We have windows 10 pro. We finally removed our mission planner and installed the latest Stable mission planner, Run it as admin, then opened Contr+ F screen to Clean Drivers

Downloaded driver.msi files as prescribed

Then reboot Mission Planner, connected the Cube orange and found this:

Com4 ProfiCNC CUBE – New c, in the box of port options, but not the necessary one for the cube orange…

In device management same issue under port:

ProfiCNC CUBE - New driver required (COM4)

We followed instructions on this page and yet do not succeed…

1 Like

This still appears to be a driver issue. Try installing QGroundControl and see if the drivers from there work.

Also, please stop repeatedly posting the same question.

This looks like a manned quadcopter. ArduPilot does not allow usage of the firmware on manned copters. The developers do not want to be responsible for any lives. I simply do not want you using the code I wrote, it might endanger the life of the pilot.

1 Like

The purpose of this one is a freight carrier: it will only carry 50 kg of freight and only on experimental basis. Hope this is clear. BTW good to know you as a writer of the code: we acknowledge the enormous effort that went into the arducopter firmware! Cheers Winfried

PS I can insert an explanation on the drone picture…

1 Like

SOLVED CONNECTING MISSION PLANNER TO CUBE. BTW we studied the recommended suggestions again carefully and noted that at first when doing steps 1 and 2 (removing existing mission planner, and downloading mission planner latest or stable version and next the driver.sm), we saw after a reboot the com4 port with the notion of ProfiCNC - CUBE new c and not the desired one. We also checked on the port in Device Manager that the port was described as ProfiCNC CUBE new driver required. So not the required result! But we then tried to dowwnload beta or custom firmware (not pressing the connection button, but making connection with Cube). That opened the road to ardupilot download centre, where we selected arducopter (the last stable version, then the cube orange and next the arducopter.apj version. This only opened the process. The white bar filled green! Then all things started to move: when having moved arducopter into the cube, we could select frame type etc… Also the connection to the cube then changed to the desired 2 options noted in the right connection box. This process should be clearly described by the CUBE PILOT, as this part is not clearly explained and gives many people headache! Cheers Winfried

PS One comment The new version of ardupilot is much improved! Also to include eg prop size related parameters!

1 Like

Same issue. This is ridiculous. How many years has cube pilot been around? How many years has ardupilot been around?

You guys mean to tell me that after nearly a decade, we can’t plug in a flight controller into mission planner and get straight to work? No wonder why China is beating everyone… Orange Cube straight to the trash.

Just let me know where you threw it. I have a well-maintained Windows install so I can use it right from your trash… :slight_smile:

Seriously, connection issues are always a windows/driver issue and not related to the flight controller (unless you toast it).

1 Like

two things you can try, use the Mission planner beta or use QGC. Cool looking Drone!
IN my case a update to Beta did work last time i flashed on the Pix racer pro.

“You guys mean to tell me that after nearly a decade, we can’t plug in a flight controller into mission planner and get straight to work?” yea I never had a issue as well until a few months ago. I am hoping the new Beta has resolved this,

Nah, it’s trash. Cube is trash as well. It’s thought to be a beginner level FC but really, they’re making it more difficult than all the new FC’s coming out like Ark Electronics, Echomav, etc.

It comes down to this: Why, after more than a decade, is Cube Pilot sending out incomplete products? Open source is often an excuse to just let the community figure out the rest.

It works for around 3 million units, but it doesn’t work for you. And you assume the error is in the cube pilot side?

1 Like

Yes, this is my 6th cube. The second one I bought came bricked.

So with the new Orange + cubes, are we requiring customers to use DFU mode to make use of the product? Is that going to be part of the process now?