Unable to connect to Mavlink

Using ArduCopter 3.1.5 , Mission Planner 1.2.48 Mav 1 . Hardware is a DIY 3DR Quadcopter.

Son started building this with teacher in school and could not get past ‘Connect’ in Mission Planner setup. We have since rebuilt it a couple of times to check connections and have uninstalled and reinstalled numerous times using old and new versions of Mission Planner.

Tonight, I realized that the detailed log at Connect fail showed a file path that I do not have on this computer. Wondering if it is a Win XP vs Win 7 issue? (Grasping at straws here.)

I have no file path for users\hog\Documents. Was that created during Mission Planner install or firmware install or what? Is there a different version that accounts for Win7? Son’s teacher suggested to keep with older versions since his (poor) directions that came with the kit showed screenshots of older versions.

[quote]No Mavlink Heartbeat Packets where read from this port - Verify Baud Rate and setup
APM Planner waits for 2 valid heartbeat packets before connecting

at ArdupilotMega.MAVLink.OpenBG(Boolean getparams, ProgressWorkerEventArgs ProgressWorkerEventArgs) in C:\Users\hog\Documents\Visiual Studio 2010\Projects\ArdupilotMega\ArdrupilotMega\Mavlink.cs:line483
…and another one at line 311
[/quote]

Any help appreciated.
mrmartinsclass
Austin, Texas

please use a newer Mp.