Unable to achieve full power

Hello guys, first time post.

I have recently built a DJI 450 Quad copter. I am using the following setup.

HK Mega 2.7
Arducopter v3.2.1
Opto ESC’s
FrSky D8R-XP
Quarnum GPS compus.

The problem I am experiencing is that after I arm the system, Im unable to get full power to the motors when I add full throttle. I have found that if I start the quad in stabilise mode and add some throttle the RPM picks up a small amount but not enough to generate any lift. If while in this configuration, and I change to RTL mode the motors spin up to what feels like full power, easily enough to lift the copter, all this is done while keeping a very firm downwards pressure to prevent lift off.

I have gone through the Mandatory Hardware setup successfully but still no joy.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Murray mint

@Murraymint,
Please provide tlogs and/or dataflash logs to help troubleshoot your issue.
Regards,
TCIII GM

I’d love to provide the logs but there is another problem. When I connecting the terminal I see the the Com port has been opened. It then displays the Arducoptor version and load time but after this the output us garbled. This looks indicative of incorrect port speed. I have tried to change the port speed but still the output is unreadable.

@Murraymint,
The CLI is no longer used to access tlogs and/or data flash logs.
Please use these Wiki instructions to capture your tlogs and/or data flash logs http://copter.ardupilot.com/wiki/common-downloading-and-analyzing-data-logs-in-mission-planner/
Regards,
TCIII GM

Hi TCIII, many thanks for your help.

Think I can see a problem, highlighted below. I have uploaded the log as well.

Log File C:/Program Files (x86)/Mission Planner/logs/QUADROTOR/1/2015-04-06 21-26-14 1.bin.log
Size (kb) 385.5546875
No of lines 6012
Duration 0:00:00
Vehicletype ArduCopter
Firmware Version V3.2.1
Firmware Hash 36b405fb
Hardware Type
Free Mem 0
Skipped Lines 0

Test: Autotune = UNKNOWN - No ATUN log data
Test: Balance/Twist = GOOD -
Test: Brownout = GOOD -
Test: Compass = FAIL - Large compass off params (X:-179.00, Y:-59.00, Z:46.00)
No MAG data, unable to test mag_field interference

Test: Dupe Log Data = GOOD -
[color=#BF8000]Test: Empty = FAIL - Empty log? Throttle never above 20%[/color]
Test: Event/Failsafe = GOOD -
Test: GPS = FAIL - Min satellites: 0, Max HDop: 99.99
Test: IMU Mismatch = UNKNOWN - No IMU log data
Test: Parameters = GOOD -
Test: PM = GOOD -
Test: Pitch/Roll = GOOD -
Test: Thrust = GOOD -
Test: VCC = WARN - VCC min/max diff 0.313v, should be <0.3v

rcout isn’t enabled in the logs so I cant see what is getting to the esc, but throttle out is going almost full, and rcin ch3 (throttle input) is going full. If you are comparing to direct connection to esc from rx, then the motors won’t spin so hard unless the quad is tipped over…it keeps some in reserve for attitude control.

How do you know if there isn’t enough lift if you are holding it down? I’ve seen someone else say and so this and it flew at mid throttle when they tried.

enabling rcout would confirm things and if possible if there are other issues.

Hi RabbitStu,

Thanks for your reply.

I will look for how to enable “rcout” to get better logging.

With regards to assertaining full power, I did go into the Garden, and arm the copter. The props spin at a very slow RPM but even when I use full trhottle the RPM only picks up a small amount.

It’s not the THR_MAX parameter again is it? - have a look in full parameter list… it should be set to 1000
This happened to me some time ago during a software update… It set itself really low

Thanks squeal0,

Ill have a look when I get home tonight.

Thr_max in the log is 80! good work squeal0

Thr_max was indeed set to 80. I’ve set it to 1000 but still experiencing the problem. In a coincidence a new firmware was offered this evening so I decided to download and install, went through calibration and Bob’s your uncle full power but at this point low battery voltage. Charging now and hope it’s all OK. Thanks for all your help and I’ll update the thread with the results.

OK so charged the battery, a lot better but not enough to get airborne.

Looked at the logs and found the following. I’ve tried looking through the Full Param list but cant work it out
Uploaded the log files if anyone can cast their eyes over and give me a clue.

Log File C:/Program Files (x86)/Mission Planner/logs/QUADROTOR/1/2015-04-07 19-26-22.log
Size (kb) 123.869140625
No of lines 2063
Duration 2 days, 18:27:25
Vehicletype ArduCopter
Firmware Version V3.2.1
Firmware Hash 36b405fb
Hardware Type
Free Mem 0
Skipped Lines 0

Test: Autotune = UNKNOWN - No ATUN log data
Test: Balance/Twist = GOOD -
Test: Brownout = GOOD -
Test: Compass = GOOD - No MAG data, unable to test mag_field interference

Test: Dupe Log Data = GOOD -
Test: Empty = GOOD -
Test: Event/Failsafe = GOOD -
Test: GPS = FAIL - Min satellites: 0, Max HDop: 2.4
Test: IMU Mismatch = UNKNOWN - No IMU log data
Test: Parameters = GOOD -
Test: PM = GOOD -
Test: Pitch/Roll = GOOD -
[color=#FF4000]Test: Thrust = FAIL - Avg climb rate -7.21 cm/s for throttle avg 981[/color]
Test: VCC = WARN - VCC min/max diff 0.494v, should be <0.3v

Daft one…You have got the props on the right way round? (I helped a guy once who’s props were turning the correct direction, with the right props on each motor - but he installed the props upside-down!)

Also might be worth recalibrating your RX and if necessary your esc’s…
Some transmitters need calibration too - for example my Taranis needed calibrating…

I have done a motor check and each motor is running in the correct direction and the props are in the correct orientation. I saw your post regarding the props.

I think I’m going to start again and carry out the setup again.

I can’t calibrate the ECS’s as they are OPTO type.

I’ll let you know he I get on.

keep pressing on mate…!

I think your idea is sound…start again!
Calibrate your TX if appropriate, set it up correctly in Mission Planner and make sure the range is good. Recheck the THR_MAX parameter… lol!

As I said before…enabling RCout might help find it

RabbitStu,

I did try to find out how to enable the RCout but unable to find out how to do it so, if someone could point me in the right direction?

Maybe too obivious, but it is possible you just don’t have enough lift; if you have low kV motors / small props / low voltage battery.

What motors (size, kV), battery (3S, 4S etc, C rating), and props (diameter, pitch) are you using? Also what is the total weight including battery?

Well Murray is a happy boy. :smiley: I reset everything but the most significant change was the props and the direction of the motors.

On the Arducopter Wiki the Xquad is show as having the front right motor turning counter clockwise, mine however were the other way round so that where a motor should be CCW turning it was CW turning and where a motor should be turning CW it was turning CCW. having done this and got it all turning and dialled in the little beastie flew… but not that high. :confused:

I found that from a standing start, if i gave it a good dose of throttle the Quad would climb, not very convincingly, but climb none the less. still some problems to solve. I have attached the log file if anyone would like to have a look.

@SuperJim

The Quad is a DJI 450 flamewheel kit that came with motors, 10" and 8" props and all up weight is 920g

I think that maybe the weak link is the battery, it’s an Overlander 1600mHa 3S, 30C constant, 50C burst. I do plan on getting more batteries for when I’m out in the field and carrying more weight around.

Great news mate!
For once I was on the right track on both counts :smiley: THR-MAX and prop orientation ! it’s a miracle…

your battery is a tad small for a 450… I would def go for 2200mah 3s…

BTW hit ‘accept this answer’ on the appropriate reply to your issue…