Ubuntu not recognizing Pixhawk

I’m trying to get my pixhawk set up for the first time and I am having difficulty installing the firmware. I am using Ubuntu 14.04, and it is not recognizing my pixhawk. The error message in apm planner is “no valid device found.” So I checked lsusb and it is not listed in the output. I then removed modemanager, but still nothing. I’ve also gone through this (https://github.com/mavlink/qgroundcontrol) to build qgroundcontrol, but I’m slightly confused about how that actually works though it did boot up. I’m really not sure what else to do so if anyone has an idea it would be greatly appreciated.

did you add your user to the dial out group? (though I am unsure if that would help) I need to test that theory

sudo adduser <username> dialout

PS: make sure you have a valid formatted SD card inserted

I have added my account to the dial out group. The sd card is the one it came with I have done nothing to it. It was in the board when I got it It took it out making sure it was there then put it back. When I plug it in it turns on makes a musical sound and the led indicator is blue. If you let it sit for a couple of minutes it turns green but thats the only change.

When it turns on the safety switch starts blinking quickly and doesn’t stop, and the main led turns on solid blue after a few seconds then turns either red or green after two minutes or so. Also I noticed that when I have apm planner open and the pixhawk isn’t plugged in if I press connect the program freezes, but if it is plugged in the program closes immediately. Should I reformat the sd? also the only things I have plugged into the pixhawk are the buzzer and the safety switch.