Ublox compass burned out?

I had a bad regulator that I replaced in my APM that I found out about by updating the firmware… after I performed the update and fixed the regulator I get a bad compass health message every time I connect the external compass and a compass calibration of 0,0,0. When I use the internal compass things seem to be normal. I would prefer to use the external compass due to where I am able to mount it on the airframe. Do you think the external compass could be bad due to the over voltage from the bad regulator or does anyone have another idea what I could do to get it working?

[wf]Copter software[/wf]
[mf]Copter/3.1[/mf]

@jhatton,
Is your compass standalone or is it part of a 3DR GPS/Compass module? The compass in the GPS/Compass module is not powered by the I2C connector.
Regards,
TCIII GM

It is part of the 3dr uBlox module. The internal compass in the APM seems to work fine

Hi jhatton,

[quote=“jhatton”]Do you think the external compass could be bad due to the over voltage from the bad regulator[/quote] No, the compass built in the GPS receives its power from the GPS board, so the GPS gets 5V from APM and with internal regulator (not the APM regulator) supply 3V to the compass.

Do you disabled the APM’s internal compass when you connect the external? here you can find how to do:
step 2 of copter.ardupilot.com/wiki/common … the_APM_25