Tuning of 250mm Micro X Quad

Hello All, firstly fantastic work done on the Mission Planner, its just so user friendly and has a lot of UI rich features.
As I digress…
I am trying to tune out my 250mm Mini X Quad. I just recently purchased a mini HK Pilot Mega because it was so small how could you know buy one. I own several 3DR APM’s, you can ask Dany at CanadaDrones. :wink:
Back to my question…
I am curious, how much would the Default Settings vary based on size?
I know the more powerful it is, you decrease the Stab_R from 4.5 to approx 3.5ish, but if the unit is proportionally smaller, what is the route to take?
I have done about 12 flights and have been trying to tune it out. I am getting very close but just wondering if I am going about this all wrong. I have the Stab_R and Stab_P down to about 3.5
and the Rate_R and Rate_P down to 0.075
I didn’t touch the Stab_Y at this time as when i did it would start to rotate a bit and needed right RUD to correct.
Anyway, just wondering if there is a method for these smaller frames.
I am running :
Multistar 1704-1900Kv Motors
Multistar 10A ESCs
Propellers 5x3 by 3inch
APM Mini by HK with 3.0.1

My CompassMot came back at 12% of Mag Field Interference as I have an external Compass from JDrones running on I2C (before i did that it was at 568% (crazy right!))
[attachment=1]Screenshot 2014-04-24 11.58.07.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=0]Screenshot 2014-04-24 13.33.41.jpg[/attachment]

Thanks for your time!

LTMNO

Update,

Is this dialed in?
[attachment=1]Screenshot 2014-04-24 14.34.30.jpg[/attachment]
As it flies, it tends to move forward a bit… i am constantly correcting.

The vibrations are good… in fact great…

Should I be putting more time in this?

[attachment=0]Screenshot 2014-04-24 14.47.50.jpg[/attachment]

[quote=“LTMNO”]Update,

Is this dialed in?
[attachment=1]Screenshot 2014-04-24 14.34.30.jpg[/attachment]
As it flies, it tends to move forward a bit… i am constantly correcting.[/quote]
Try the autotrim or save trim features.

[quote]The vibrations are good… in fact great…

Should I be putting more time in this?

[attachment=0]Screenshot 2014-04-24 14.47.50.jpg[/attachment][/quote]
You should be able to increase the stabilize P gains.

I finally got the autotune to work and here are the results… very happy with this… thanks to all that have developed such an awesome platform!

[attachment=2]Screenshot 2014-04-26 10.32.31.jpg[/attachment]
[attachment=1]Screenshot 2014-04-26 10.32.15.jpg[/attachment]
[attachment=0]Screenshot 2014-04-26 10.28.15.jpg[/attachment]

Many Thanks!

I’m interested in how you got auto tune to work well for the 250 quads, did you change the LPF from 20Hz to 42Hz or anything else from defaults? I’m having issues, perhaps it’s just vibration, but take a look:

viewtopic.php?f=100&t=11079&p=29566#p29566

HI, i am just seeing this post…
that being said, I just made sure that i had vibrations down to a minimum…
that is the key. I am down to +/- 2 on xy and z.

I have sold that quad now or i would have taking some sceenshots of my mounting system for the APM.
I recall using ruberized isolation screw mounts and foam for the baro. I even used rubber washers for any contact to the frame too.

I reverted to the defaults of MPU to 20Hz and IMAX to 1000. I have just used my phone to measure the vibrations and dynamically balance the props, and it reduced the vibrations from ±5 to ±2 so I’ll retest the autotune when I get the chance. Thanks for the advice, will report back.

coolbeans… good luck :wink: