Tuning Items explained

Does anyone know of a good tutorial that can explain in detail what the tuning parameters control and mean ?

rate_P, rate_D ,rate_I etc. I’d like to fine tune these items, and there are youtube videos and sites that explain how to tune these parameters, but I haven’t seen a site that explains what each one does, how it effects a quad-copter. If I tune a rate up or down what difference should I see, or feel if holding or putting the quad in a jig ?

Before I go micro-tuning I’m guessing it would be helpful if I new exactly what I was tuning.

Thanks
johnc

I keep this hanging around, can’t remember where I found it

P Sets how much control is allowed to be applied by the flight controller in order to correct angle change.
To high and the aircraft will oscillate quickly, to low and it will oscillate slowly or not correct at all (acro)

I works by gradually increasing P to correct of outside variables such as wind
The value determines how quickly it adjusts, to quick and the aircraft will oscillate.
Adjust I in flight with MAV link until oscillation, then set to 0.020 below oscillation

D is similar to P and works to achieve the same result but in the opposite way, P lowers the control / Power applied opposite to the movement, D works by increasing the control / Power on the side of the force, in essence it controls how quickly the copter should start and stop reacting, so setting d to high will cause the aircraft to flip or rotate and setting to slow will cause sluggishness.

Autotune is available copter.ardupilot.com/wiki/autotune/

Hello,

I was wonder the exact same thing. I’ve been dealing my hexacopter Fi 50 for almost a year. haven’t been able to get the tuning down to actually fly it which sucks. I have had to put it away for awhile due to work. At the time I was on v2.9.1. I read the tuning guide by Dave and got it off the ground but wasn’t really confident with it. none the less, now several months later there’s been several revisions. now I’ve got to start from scratch again. I’m trying to setup it up without my gimbal to better understand the tuning aspects and then attach the gimbal and re tune after. here’s a list of what I’m using.

hobby king F550
birdie 30amp esc
motors I just forgot (damn)
Apm2.5 v3.0.1
2.4ghz transfer module in a hitec 7 eclipse.
Li Po battery volt saver
3dr power unit for apm
3s 4 00000 Li po
extended landing gear the U shape type

I’ll get names for the batter and motor specs when I get home. my problem is that I start with trying to tune on ch6 with how the v2.9.1 guide explains, tune rate _ first, with low settings at .0500 and high settings at .225. well the low was still too high so I’ve gone down to .01… still ocillating.

any ideas where I can start better for the hex being it’s more power than that of the quad?

[quote=“rcflyer40t”]Hello,

I was wonder the exact same thing. I’ve been dealing my hexacopter Fi 50 for almost a year. haven’t been able to get the tuning down to actually fly it which sucks. I have had to put it away for awhile due to work. At the time I was on v2.9.1. I read the tuning guide by Dave and got it off the ground but wasn’t really confident with it. none the less, now several months later there’s been several revisions. now I’ve got to start from scratch again. I’m trying to setup it up without my gimbal to better understand the tuning aspects and then attach the gimbal and re tune after. here’s a list of what I’m using.

hobby king F550
birdie 30amp esc
motors I just forgot (damn) 28-26 1350KV UPDATED
Apm2.5 v3.0.1
2.4ghz transfer module in a hitec 7 eclipse.
Li Po battery volt saver
3dr power unit for apm
3s 4 00000 Li po TURNIGY HD UPDATED
extended landing gear the U shape type
Props, 3x 9x4.7 3x 9x4.7R UPDATED

I’ll get names for the batter and motor specs when I get home. my problem is that I start with trying to tune on ch6 with how the v2.9.1 guide explains, tune rate _ first, with low settings at .0500 and high settings at .225. well the low was still too high so I’ve gone down to .01… still ocillating.

any ideas where I can start better for the hex being it’s more power than that of the quad?[/quote]

Again, I really do appreciate any help. Seems most of the instructions revolve around the lighter less powered quads rather than hexa and larger. Tough to get a good bearing of where to begin with having six motors. Too much power? I think not… hahaha. More power is better, well isn’t that usually the way it goes.

Thanks everyone. Now if only I can wrap my head around these pesky PID’s…

P.S… still wondering how the heck I can edit my previous posts… if anyone can chime in on that as well, I’d be most grateful :slight_smile:

K… weird… I messed up on a letter in here, and looking at the top of this particular post, it shows “edit” in the top right corner, why doesn’t my other post show that… sigh… lol oh well. moving on with life now. hahaha

Better yet, if I could just get it back to where I was before where I could hover around a bit, then use this nice AutoTune feature to help get it in fine tune, that would be significantly awesome!